Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Opinions on Phoenix tattoo

Hi everybody,

I would like some opinions about my tattoo. I had it done 6 months ago, itís a free hand Phoenix on my back as you can see. The symbol on my lower back (inside the phoenix) is a tattoo I already had for 15 years.

I would like to hear what you think about it. I can get really insecure and afraid to show it.

I am having a hard time adjusting/ getting used to the tattoo. Maybe because its really big. Do any of you recognise this?

I am not happy with some of the shading. For example between te upper tailfeather and the right wing and also the large shade on the lower right of the tattoo. I think its kind of smudgy and I can see lines. Do you think this can be fixed?

Thank you (sorry for my English, I am from Holland)!
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on Phoenix tattoo-540e80ca-5844-481c-b99a-fe110d691826.jpeg  
Phoenix80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Chat Slut

I think that it is a lovely tattoo and you should be very proud of it. I would perhaps have asked the artist to do more to hide the tribal in the design if it were me but other than that I think it looks lovely. The shading could be extended if you feel that it looks too localised - in fact if you ever feel like going larger and extending onto your shoulders or down your legs then what is there so far gives you scope to do so and blend it in well.

I can't tell for sure from the photo but it doesn't look like you have many other tattoos, so to go so large probably explains your unease at showing it off - completely natural and a subject many people have experienced on this forum when getting their first large work.

Once you take the plunge and start showing it off I'm sure you will get some compliments from random strangers and this will hopefully make you feel much better and less self-conscious about it.
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

I think it looks great! I see what you mean about the shading, some bits seem darker than others. You could get the lighter bits darkened if it really bugged you, but I don't think it's that noticeable.

I think it's normal to freak out about it at first, but then you get used to it.
Old 15-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJimJones View Post
I think that it is a lovely tattoo and you should be very proud of it. I would perhaps have asked the artist to do more to hide the tribal in the design if it were me but other than that I think it looks lovely. The shading could be extended if you feel that it looks too localised - in fact if you ever feel like going larger and extending onto your shoulders or down your legs then what is there so far gives you scope to do so and blend it in well.

I can't tell for sure from the photo but it doesn't look like you have many other tattoos, so to go so large probably explains your unease at showing it off - completely natural and a subject many people have experienced on this forum when getting their first large work.

Once you take the plunge and start showing it off I'm sure you will get some compliments from random strangers and this will hopefully make you feel much better and less self-conscious about it.
Thank you for your reply!
It’s good to know I’m not the only one feeling insecure :-).

Maybe In the future I will have the artist include the old tattoo better in the new one. About extending the tattoo, that’s exactly what the artist said. For now I think I will wait untill I feel completely comfortable with my body and showing the Phoenix.
Most poelple around me don’t have tattoos so they are a bit shocked when they find out about mine. It is nice to talk to people here who have and/or like tattoos.
Old 15-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickabiddybex View Post
I think it looks great! I see what you mean about the shading, some bits seem darker than others. You could get the lighter bits darkened if it really bugged you, but I don't think it's that noticeable.

I think it's normal to freak out about it at first, but then you get used to it.
Maybe I’m beeing too critical about the shading.
I’m afraid that if I let the artist make the lighter parts darker it will look too dark with hardly any gradient. Do you know what I mean?
Old 15-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

I think it's beautiful

A background by extending it will only make it look better in my opinion

I've messed up a body shot on here lol
Old 15-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I think it looks great and you should be proud of it. If there are small things you don't like about it, talk to your artist about those concerns and ask their opinion, but keep a couple things in mind:

1. When you ask, make it clear that you want his honest opinion, and then listen to that opinion. When artists start "fixing" things that they don't think need to be fixed, just to make the client happy, the tattoo gets worse.

2. No tattoo is perfect, the minor imperfections are part of the deal and learning to accept them is part of being a happily tattooed person.

A great artist is more important than a great idea. If you aren't sure how to find one, use this app: The Brag Art List app

Last edited by DGreenwood; 15-06-2018 at 04:45 PM.
DGreenwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
I think it looks great and you should be proud of it. If there are small things you don't like about it, talk to your artist about those concerns and ask their opinion, but keep a couple things in mind:

1. When you ask, make it clear that you want his honest opinion, and then listen to that opinion. When artists start "fixing" things that they don't think need to be fixed, just to make the client happy, the tattoo gets worse.

2. No tattoo is perfect, the minor imperfections are part of the deal and learning to accept them is part of being a happily tattooed person.
Thanks, that’s some really good advice!
Old 17-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Chat Virgin

Hi. I had a post a some time ago about tattoo remorse. I had a big, black piece done on one half side of my back about 3 months ago.
I know the emotions of feeling uneasy to show it.
I have 2 small visible pieces and 1 small hidden one. This big piece though gave me quite some serious panic attacks. Those panic attacks are now luckily gone and I'm getting used to it more and more. I'm not used to it yet when people turn around and look at me when I go to the pool but my self esteem is getting better. (I can't just stop going to the pool because I have kids and they wanna go swim, so I have to go with them).
I also see some parts on my tattoo I would have done differently but that's me who looks at it this close, the majority probably won't even notice what I don't like about it.
I think you have a beautiful and feminine phoenix on your back and you shouldn't be scared to wear nice dresses and bikinis.
What sort of turned the switch is when I went to a festival and I saw so many tattooed, cool, and easy going people and even though my piece is big, It seemed compared to them I actually was "naked".
I think it just takes time to adjust for your body and even more so for your mind.
The best advise I got from this great community here (besides the nice compliments) is the advise to just give it some time.
It looks good and you have the right body to wear it proudly. Besides that, I personally love the symbolic meaning of the phoenix!

Last edited by BonzaiBambi; 17-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.
BonzaiBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
Chat Virgin

I think it's pretty great
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote