Old 07-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Numbing cream

I have quite a lot tattoos, probably about 15, and I'm booked in to get another on the side of my thigh at the top. I'm not particularly bad with pain, but I have a tattoo that goes down from my shoulder and three quarters of the way down the back of my arm. It took 3.5 hours and after about 2.5 half hours, I started to get the shakes. As they were nearly finished, they just started bundling towels over my other arm to try help with the shakes/shivering and warm me up a bit. I'm always cold anyway and this was winter, but maybe I didn't eat enough beforehand, I can't remember. I just don't fancy that happening again, as the tattooist thinks my tattoo will take 3-4 hours.

I did tell the tattooist about this, as I wondered if that's my limit on pain, but he did say the back of the arm is quite a tender place to have a tattoo so probably didn't help.

But, I don't enjoy the pain anyway (I hear some people do?). I've never used a numbing cream before, but is there a good one I could buy, and also, can you reapply it whilst having the tattoo?

Last edited by susan_1981; 07-07-2018 at 07:52 AM.
susan_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

I had a tattoo done on my inside arm/bicep and it was awful. I got the shakes too. People do use different things to manage the pain. As far as creams go this one is supposed to be good:

https://www.drnumb.com

It used to be available on Amazon UK but they donít seem to be selling it anymore.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Chat Virgin

Thanks, that's the one I keep coming across when I Google it. Do you know if I can reapply it during the tattoo?

Every time I get a tattoo done, my first thought is "God, I forgot how bloody painful they are" then the pain seems to numb off anyway for me, and then it comes back full force by the time it's starting to get sore.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Chat Virgin

I've just emailed the tattooist and he said he prefers it if people don't use numbing cream because it can affect how well the ink goes in. He also said that the numbing cream generally only lasts for half hour to an hour, and then I'll probably find the pain worse once it wears off. So looks like I'll be doing this with no numbing cream.

I'll just make sure I eat beforehand and take a bottle of coke in with me.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Chatter Box

Yeah a good meal and a sugary drink with help. The shaking is a stress reaction cuased by your body burning up glucose and cortisol faster than it normally would. Over the counter painkillers like co codomal help. Some people say Valium (diazepam) helps too
Mostincrediblyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Bactine can be applied once the skin is broken, I find it helps when the artist goes back and works over a section. Gives a slight numbing effect due to the Lidocaine in it, lasts for maybe 15 minutes, then give it another spray.
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhine View Post
I had a tattoo done on my inside arm/bicep and it was awful. I got the shakes too. People do use different things to manage the pain. As far as creams go this one is supposed to be good:

https://www.drnumb.com

It used to be available on Amazon UK but they donít seem to be selling it anymore.
This is my next session. Itís gonna be a dark, big piece.

I know itís gonna suck. Really not looking forward to it at all.

I wouldnít bother with creams. Itís going to feel worse when it wears off.
Kev.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
Chat Slut

We tried it on my feet. I couldn't tell the difference.
oboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

I've had numbing spray before - it made things worse because it was very cold. Honestly I wouldn't bother, just take some cocodamol or something when you've done as much as you can. If it's gonna take up to 4 hours then see if you can go the first hour without and then the tattoo should be done before it's worn off.

Location can make a difference, but also I find that traditional style tattoos hurt the most. They're also over quicker though, so you have to weigh that up too when trying to guess what it will feel like.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
Bactine can be applied once the skin is broken, I find it helps when the artist goes back and works over a section. Gives a slight numbing effect due to the Lidocaine in it, lasts for maybe 15 minutes, then give it another spray.
About 5 and a half hours into my ribs my artist sprayed me with bactine and some foam stuff before wrapping me in clingfilm for about 10 minutes. When we got back to tattooing i couldn't feel a thing for the next 20 minutes, it was awesome.
Muddyoioi is offline   Reply With Quote