Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default New sleeve - please help

Hi everyone,

I've finished my right sleeve roughly 10 months ago, now I would like to start the left one. It is going to be a sleeve as well, I'm just a bit unsure about the theme of it. The reason for my uncertainity is, that on my right arm, I have a b&g realistic piece (below I will attach it, sorry for the not too good quality picture).

I was thinking that it would be good, to have something similar in style on my left arm as well, and I have an idea for the theme:
there would be a Shaman like creature who is holding in one of his arms a swirling universe, the universe would be on my shoulder, and downside ash would flow out of his other hand in the direction of my lower arm where they would be crows and a skull. It is meant to simbolise the circle of life and death. I got a pretty good sketch from my artist and she loved the idea, however the artist is also very good in japanese style tattoos, and I love B&G Japanese tattoos as well.

My question is, that considering that I have the below piece on my right arm (which actually has some japanese inspiration as well with the sacura petals and some short japanese writing), would you go with my above described idea, or do you think a japanese B&G piece like a phoenix and/or dragon would fit as well, or would this rather be very awkward having these two styles mixed on my left and right arm.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
New sleeve - please help-tattoo.jpg  
werna4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Chat Slut

I don't think you should worry about mixing styles, people will rarely view both of your arms as a set. Also, a lot of people on this forum have no issue mixing styles and I personally think it turns out well, even on the same limb.

That being said, go with what you feel. If your artist really doesn't do B&G realism, be wary getting a B&G tattoo from her.

If it was me, I'd go with the b&g idea you had, but that's just me.

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I don't think you should worry about mixing styles, people will rarely view both of your arms as a set. Also, a lot of people on this forum have no issue mixing styles and I personally think it turns out well, even on the same limb.

That being said, go with what you feel. If your artist really doesn't do B&G realism, be wary getting a B&G tattoo from her.

If it was me, I'd go with the b&g idea you had, but that's just me.
Thanks Sushi for the quick reply. Actually the artist I was talking about is good in B&G as well, or at least I think she is, she did my right arm. To be precise, I just brought the concept with circle of life and death to hear, she came up with the details, but it was pretty good I think.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Jyn
Chatter Box

Ill probably have 3 different artist work on my arm. Id say the hardest part is making sure it all flows and interlocks together rather than if the styles are similar
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I’ll probably have 3 different artist work on my arm. I’d say the hardest part is making sure it all flows and interlocks together rather than if the styles are similar
Yes, I agree, and I guess if you are having your tattoos done by good artists, they can manage that easily. Right after I've opened this thread, I found another one, where someone is asking about mixing B&G and colour tattoos, and DGreenwood has shared an example, which speaks for itself: https://www.instagram.com/p/BExu-FcM...en-by=jookiest
And as you can see, it's not just that realism and japanese but colour and B&G has been mixed brilliantly. I'm convinced

Last edited by werna4; 10-08-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: left out something
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by werna4 View Post
Yes, I agree, and I guess if you are having your tattoos done by good artists, they can manage that easily. Right after I've opened this thread, I found another one, where someone is asking about mixing B&G and colour tattoos, and DGreenwood has shared an example, which speaks for itself: https://www.instagram.com/p/BExu-FcM...en-by=jookiest
And as you can see, it's not just that realism and japanese but colour and B&G has been mixed brilliantly. I'm convinced
That dude has terrible tattoos, I don't think you can use him as an example

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
That dude has terrible tattoos, I don't think you can use him as an example
Well, it's kinda messy, but at least one can see that styles can be mixed
Old Today, 04:43 AM   #8
Jyn
Chatter Box

Yeah hes been featured on suckytattoos so many times. Gross