Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Numbing creams

What are some creams that good artists are willing to use?
Bactrim works well but only once the skin has been pierced. I can buy a bunch of these with the hope that artist is willing to try it.

I have a 2 day session booked for the back of my leg including the knee ditch. It's a travel booking so I can't back out. We grazed the area briefly before and it was absolute hell. I've done my armpit and inner groin and this hurt way way more....
nisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Dr Numb, never used it but a few artists have mentioned it as a good one.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

If it's for a 2-day session, you'll only be able to use it for the first day. Unlike Bactine, most topical anaesthetic creams can't be used on broken skin.

Some of my customers have been using the TKTX numbing cream, which is a lidocaine based topical anaesthetic from China, and can be bought from the usual online shopping sites. It's a bit hit-and-miss as to how effectively it works, but I've found that with several creams; Ametop Gel is another that I've used/put on myself in previous years.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

There are a lot of stories about bad heals when numbing cream is used for the whole session. There's no scientific data, and plenty of people have used it and healed fine, but for me there's enough anecdotal evidence that I don't think it's worth the risk.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Jyn
Chat Slut

Bactine has never worked for me.

Some of the other 2% tattoo branded ones haven’t worked either.

Vasocaine is 5% and has worked wonders for some torso stuff. I’m pretty sure it might be illegal for artists to use it, but what do I know.

I’ve never had healing issues from it, but it’s not recommended to use saniderm if lidocaine spray was used.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Bactine has never worked for me.

Some of the other 2% tattoo branded ones havenít worked either.

Vasocaine is 5% and has worked wonders for some torso stuff. Iím pretty sure it might be illegal for artists to use it, but what do I know.

Iíve never had healing issues from it, but itís not recommended to use saniderm if lidocaine spray was used.
Bactine Max with 4% Lidocaine is pretty good, had that applied on my last few sessions. It's only good for second passes though, like when colouring or shading, won't do a thing unless it can enter broken skin, so line work is out.
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

My last tattoo.....i think the artist was being really nice by trying to numb me as best as possible.........

If you are going to get a tattoo, i think its best just to accept it is going to hurt....and if need a numbing cream, then have a shorter session, i find that after 3 hours....it can be bad....others on here though are a lot tougher than me