Old 19-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar
Default Arty questions

ok, so I know theres a few of us now who work in different mediums... this is a thread to ask for tips/advice on techniques. Just to be clear... this is every medium except tattoos... so pencil, acrylic, oil, pastel, chalk, marker = good... tattoo ink = bad!

My first question is about oils... how do you layer colours without them mixing as they take so long to dry???
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Roy here insists that the only way is to let each layer dry, if your using the paints thick this will take an age, although you can buy some quick dry thickeners to mix your paints with and also a lot will come down to what you mix your paints with full stop, he has his own secret reciepe mix of poppyseed oil, distilled turps and something else he wont say and he reckons linseed is the worst for taking ages.

I did find today that you can get your base agent stuff as a quick dry option, but I only saw it for the artisan water mixable range of oils, so dont know if you can use it with normal oils.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

its the artisan set i bought to start with. Jeeze... this looks like a lot of hard work... I wish you got the same velvety finish with arcylics, life would be so much easier
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
Old 20-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidgystar View Post
its the artisan set i bought to start with. Jeeze... this looks like a lot of hard work... I wish you got the same velvety finish with arcylics, life would be so much easier
haha Roy saw that I bought the artisan oils today and said I may aswell have bought acrylics, hes a painting snob! Still I also ignored his other advice and bought the artisan linseed oil for it. not done any oil painting myself yet, will let you know how I get on with drying times. I just got the canvas drawn up ready tonight. We can have a muddle though together and traid hints and tips.

Old 20-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

excellent... I'm wondering if you can lay an acrylic base???

lol, I had a little play with them a couple of years back... from what I remember, they do dry more velvety than acrylic but are obviously not as nice as proper oils.

I kinda get the feeling, unless you've got someone to talk you through it, you haven't got a hope in hells chance of working proper oils out! lol

www.squidgyart.com
Old 20-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah thats what Roy said to he, I cant just blag my way through, if you do it wrong it all just goes to muddy brown colours. And how there are like 4 whites and you when mixed with other paints they all make differnt colours, all sounds very daunting. Gave a great tip though for at the very end to use a soft make up bruch and dabble around the edges to give it a nice soft look.

Old 20-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

bah... you have a guru! lol ...ask him about the acrylic base tomorrow!

www.squidgyart.com
Old 20-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

hey IM... do you fancy doing a work in progress thread for each of our pieces... take a series of pictures as the painting is going together, then once it's finished post them all up so we can see at a glance the process we both followed? I plan to start mine tomorrow

www.squidgyart.com
Old 21-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
rat

Default oil in alla prima style

my first attempt with oils was done ''alla prima'' so no waiting for layers to dry as is the traditional way,whole a3 piece done in 45 minutes......good fun but pretty stressful and daunting but what i needed to shake off my ''tattoo''approach to everything
by the way excellant thread idea squidge an im sure your advice will help many judging by ya previous posts and ya lovely work
go gal!!
Old 21-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Oh that sounds fun, I will be starting to paint mine tonight. Thing is the whole thing was planned as my competition entry! so I dont think I will be able to enter now, as I really dont think I can get another picture done in the time frame. I already have 2 other pictures on the go!

Yeah Im up for it will post my first instalment tomorrow.