Old 21-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

haha my "oil painting course" by Alwyn Crawshaw says nothing about all this
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
Jedi Chat Master

Now you know why I put off trying oils for so long! its so mich to take in, its like a whole science behind it. Although I must say Im finding it rather fun learning the theory, and I havent even started paining yet. This is the last of my experiments with common mediums now, as I have done pencil, colour pencils, water colours, acrylics, marker pens and chalks. From here I have a basic understanding of each and strengths and weaknesses of each. Plus of course what I like doing most. The next thing for me will be to try to try to develop a style and do a series of paintings.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

I found some really obvious but useful tips here
How to Oil Paint: 11 steps - wikiHow
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
Chatter Box

Send a message via AIM to Wtfjed

I got my hydrus inks today.
im scared to use them, i dont wanna waste them as they cost alot.
im guessing i need a pallet to put some of the ink in first.
?

i feel so stupid
Wtfjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to Magpyex

Really really loving all the oil painting talk in this thread! We're being taught how to use them in class soon and it's nice to have a little bit of a headstart

Just a question, how exactly do you clean blendy sticks (the ones made of tightly rolled paper)? According to the packet and my friend, i'm supposed to use sandpaper but when I did that I managed to make a right mess of things!
Old 24-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
Jedi Chat Master

Didn't know where to put this, so..
I have just discovered a computer program called 'poser', which is basically a digital version of those hinged table-top mannequins which you move in position to help draw a human form. Seems really useful, seeing as I usually rely on random 'posers' on deviant art!
Old 24-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #27
Jedi Chat Master

Default Oils and starting out

Hi folks

I didn't know this thread exsited - good idea

I am about to start my maternity leave but I want to use some of the time to paint, I usually use acrylics but I get really frustrated to with them drying too quick when I want to blend. I end up abandoning the piece cos I get hacked off with it. So a couple of questions:
1) Do you know of anything that will extend the drying time of acrylics?
2) If you were to do a shopping list for oils, what would be on it? I have some Georgian (?) artist quality oils but no mixers, solvents, etc. I also have some prestretched canvases that will do for now as I think I'll need some practise before I can produce anything sellable!

Thanks for your help!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
Jedi Chat Master

You can buy tubes of retarder for mixing with acrlyic paints which slows down the drying time. You can also get special palette pads designed for acryclic that keep it wet so it won't dry out while mixing.
Slybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #29
Jedi Chat Master

Beany, Roy my boss used poser for just about every tattoo he does. Be warned that the women are a mens fantasy version, the proportions are a bit weird, the heads are to small, so tits look huge and women look taller, with the draw back of them looking like they have huge man hands.

Wendy, I hate acrylics fo that very reason.
I use Artisan water missable oils, you don't have to use turps, you buy their own linseed oil and thinners, they even do a quick dry medium. They are wonderful to use, and you just wash your brushes in water when you want.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #30
Jedi Chat Master

[QUOTE=Ink Minx;632463]Beany, Roy my boss used poser for just about every tattoo he does. Be warned that the women are a mens fantasy version, the proportions are a bit weird, the heads are to small, so tits look huge and women look taller, with the draw back of them looking like they have huge man hands.[QUOTE]

Yes I thought this might be the case, like the teenage boys wapping out a portfolio with endless big titted fantasy girls. I'd find it useful for the random body positions I need to draw people in, and the good ol' fingers foreshortening, when you can't bend your own hand round in position haha!
Oh and the man one is wearing clothes? Not that I'm a computer geek perv but it's distracting.