Old 13-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default gettin started

i'm hopefully gettin a tattooing appretiship soon(ish), can anyone give me any advice on what i can doin the mean time??
zombiegirl368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Chat Slut

Decide on a new career, you must be mad to want to be a tattooist!!!!!!!!!!!
But if your dead set on it, just don't let anything stop you!
There are far to many tattooists already out there and most will not want another wanna be out there!
But you gotta start somewhere, so good luck and let your work speak for itself!!!!!!!!!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
Il Duce!

In the mean time you should be drawing until your fingers feel like they are broken.For real.

Or go to school.
phil_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

I already draw until my fingers bleed and work a 45 hour week in a garage too - my issue is that all the advice on here is that there are fundamentals to getting into the trade - i feel i tick nearly all of them apart from GUTS - i am sooo shy and get intimidated real easily - once i'm comfortable with someone i'm totally at ease but am terrified about getting laughed at or taken the piss out of - I have confidence in my work and am more than happy to take constructive critiscism (?) but to walk into a studio and just say "here's my portfolio whatdya think would probably floor me". I also have a blushing/sweating issue so that just makes things worse. HELP!!!
Old 25-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbea View Post
I there are fundamentals to getting into the trade - i feel i tick nearly all of them
nearly every week someone posts on here saying "I've got a really strong portfolio", "I can draw really well", "I've wanted it all my life and I know I've got what it takes"...then they post their portfolio... and I can garentuee you 9 times out of 10 they don't! ...I'm not saying that's you, I've never seen your artwork... just that there are sooooooooooooo many kids out there doing everything that they can to get an apprenticeship that if this is something you really want, you have to be willing to fight for it.

The sad thing is that when those kids dont get taken on by the decent studios because they cant draw, they blame the tattooists attitude and go trawling the shit studios instead, till they find someone shit and stupid enough to take on someone who can't draw.

I digress... my point is... the competition is fierce, if you really are good enough, and you really do want it, you need to get over your nervousness and put yourself out there.

to the OP... draw draw draw
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

Thanks lovely i know its my problem its always been this way for me in everything ive done.

Beleive me after checkin out your work i would say that theres defo room for improovement with minef - i am here to learn - your a bunch of real helpful folk and majority of u seem to have a lot of great insight into the trade - its nice of you to offer your thoughts to those of us who sincerly want a chance to begin our paths - i need to get some guts & go for it.

P.S wouldn't say i have a real strong portfolio i just think i would be a good sponge that a artist would like to moisten!!!!!
Old 25-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I'm not exactly gutsy, I'm hoping to get by with my sweet charms and let the Artwork do the talking. If you guys want to learn this is the best place, lots of talent and info floating around these here parts. Get drawing and painting have fun being creative do some time at college, post your work for crit. If you really want to do this you'll take the knock downs and your dedication will be plain for all to see.
FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE
kastanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbea View Post

i just think i would be a good sponge that a artist would like to moisten!!!!!

Well that's one way to get into the trade I suppose. A good portfolio would be better though.

http://www.facebook.com/nigelkurt1
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote