Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Arrow piercing advice needed!!

Hey,

I'm 19 and recently dropped out of Uni as i decided the academic stuff was not for me. I've been into piercings and tattoos for a while and would really like to get into piercing as a trade so that in the future I could hopefully open my own studio. (well thats my ambition anyway) but for now I just need advice as to how to get started. I have contacted a lot of piercing studios and very few of them take on apprentices and only one of them has told me a price that wouldn't bleed most peoples wallet's dry. he told me he would charge 1,500 pounds for a 6 month course where i spend 2 days a week in the studio piercing after I have spent time learning about sterilisation, hygiene etc.
Do you think this is a good price? also is there anywhere I can go where I could find a good list of piercers in my area so I could see if there are any other places that might take me on.

Thanks for your time.
Tom.
tomlewis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

don't pay for an apprenticeship
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Default really? dont pay?

Thanks for your replies. The guy basically wants me to pay because I'm taking up his time by him teaching me. and he's going to let me pierce people so I guess he could be doing it but because he's getting an untrained person to do it it will take longer so he needs that time paid for. If you get my drift. I don't know if you'd class it as an apprenticeship or whether its just training. Lost of people charge as much as 700 for 3 days and there's no way anyone can learn enough to competently pierce in that time.

do you know where I could get a free apprenticeship from? i live in south wales but i wouldn't mind travelling a bit.

Thanks. Tom
Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Default thanks

Are any of you guys piercers? if so how did you start? thanks for the help and I will keep ringing but i think think that when you just ring a place and ask them if they would think about taking an apprentice i think they all kind of think what's in it for them and just say no, thats the impression I've had so far. as I said thanks for your advice and any more you could give me would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks
Tom.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I myself am not a piercer, but in my oppinion all the decent peircers have started out by getting an apprenticeship and starting at the bottom. I wouldn't trust a piercer who has only been on one of those 3 day courses You can't learn everything you need to know in only 3 days, no chance!

The only way you will do it is to find a piercer who is willing to train someone up as an apprentice.

Yep, I agree with that Donna... I was dead lucky..Ed the Impailer taught me to pierce.
There is no way someone who did a 3 day course is anywhere near knowledgeable (?) enough to be let loose on people!!!!!!
tat2loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Keyboard Hero in a World of Pain

ive no idea if Edd is looking for an apprentice but you could PM him and ask! even if he isnt maybe he could give you some advice.
If i was looking for an apprentice i would want to be taught by the BEST. and from what i know ED is the BEST when it comes to piercing
And in South Wales too
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Keyboard Hero in a World of Pain

And fill in your profile on here too. nice to see what peeps do etc