Old 25-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?

Hiyaaa everybody!!!!

I know there have been similar questions on this forum already but i thought to give it a go as a new, fresh thread. Since i realised that tattoos are my real passion i moved to UK and have been working on my style and portfolio like crazy.

However, when it comes to thinking of the next step -seeking an apprenticeship- i freak out as i don't really know how to go about in landing one.
Do you choose by the artist you like or the studio? Do you just walk in and ask them to hang around for the day (wouldn't that be annoying to them though?)? Do you call or email before you pop in?
....or am i overthinking this too much?

Thank you so much in advance
dacchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Chat Slut

Hey dacchan,

First off you HAVE to have a great portfolio, something that you can be proud of while some tattooist who you don't know stands infront of you flicking through the pages, if you aren't 100% confident in your work then you should rethink approaching a studio as a lot of tattooists can be quite arrogant and that may put you off.

I had 3 apprenticeships, 2 of them were complete flops but I approached them all the same, just walk in with your portfolio and ask if they're searching for an apprentice, most will say no/they're full but luckily if someone isn't tattooing they'll look at your work and give you some criticism anyway.

Following a lot of studios on facebook (near your area) helps as they tend to put posts on there requesting emailed portfolios, so that's easier.

One of the absolute worst things to do is to come across as too confident, you should be confident but there's a fine line between confident and arrogant, you don't really come across as arrogant but who knows.

On the flip side to that, the best thing to do when you're approaching a tattooist/potential mentor is to be passionate, the more passionate the better, if I spoke to someone who looked bored I wouldn't really care how good their art was, you wanna strive to take that next step (in getting an apprenticeship) so do some research, learn all you can about art etc.

Whatever you do, do not buy a kit from ebay, this will absolutely shit on your chances to get an apprenticeship.

Oh and the 2 apprenticeships that were flops were from my lack of research, they weren't reputable tattoo studios and their work was awful, their hygiene was awful and it was my fault for not having researched beforehand.
Odise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Hi Odise!!

Thank you so so much for the detailed reply- it really helps a lot in giving me an idea what to do and what to expect.
I'm an awfully shy person so walking into a studio and asking for an apprenticeship= 10 gallons of sweat, so i guess i'll have to gather some "whatever happens, happens" attitude

I do follow on Facebook and Instagram a bunch of tattooists and studios that i really like but some of them say they are "appointment-only studio", does that mean i will not be able to even pass through the door?

Also, when was the time you felt confident enough in your portfolio? I have been working on mine for quite some time but after every drawing i think i can do better which turns into a never-ending cycle.
Old 25-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Chat Slut

Hey,

An appointment only studio is basically a studio that doesn't accept walk-in tattoos as they're already pre-booked, the type of studio that accepts walk ins are usually the type of studios you want to avoid (they do all the small, generally poor quality tattoos). So you can absolutely go in anytime you want, perhaps call them beforehand just to check if they are looking for an apprentice just so you don't waste your time.

Personally I was confident in my portfolio when I had 10-20 (was a long time ago) a4/a3 sized pieces of finished artwork, I'd spent hours on each piece so they were all detailed and I was happy to show them off.

The only bad thing is that tattooing has come a long way since then so there is more competition for each apprenticeship opening but that should push you to become a better artist. It's good that you can criticize your own work, do you have any pictures you're willing to share so I can perhaps guide you a bit more?
Old 26-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
Chat Virgin

Hiii,

Thanks again for all the pointers and i do apologise for the flood of questions!

So, even if i can call them to ask if they are looking for an apprentice, i guess it does give a better impression if i go personally?

Are the A3 sized pieces a 'must have' thing? Haven't done any A3 ones but will add some if it's something that will help my portfolio to make an impact.

Yeah, tattooing has come a really long way in styles and acceptance so maybe the huge competition is what makes me think that i don't have good enough pieces yet.

I am attaching a couple of drawings from last year and some newer ones and it would be really great if i could get your opinion/feedback on them.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?-img_3240.jpg   How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?-img_3242.jpg   How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?-img_3243.jpg   How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?-img_3245.jpg   How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?-img_3244.jpg  

Old 26-08-2016, 12:16 AM   #6
Chat Slut

Hey, I do actually like your artwork, they're clean and a bit different, reminds me a little of Junji Ito's work.

To be honest if you just keep at that kinda stuff you'll do fine, just make sure you have some diversity and try to fill the page more, empty space is good but too much empty space makes people think you haven't spent much time on them.

You don't need to go as big as A3, having A4 artwork will do absolutely fine.

My suggestion for some inspiration is to use artstation.com and just look at how the artists on there have a composition, especially: https://www.artstation.com/artist/geolim

It's pretty simple but the compositions are interesting, you wanna impress the shit outta people with your portfolio.
Old 26-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
Chat Virgin

Oh the great Junji Ito.... he is a great inspiration to me- him and Koji Morimoto for the cyber-psychedelic concepts (and many many more? hehe)

Thank you so so much for the feedback....it's nice to know that i'm at least on the right track. Will try to fill the pages a bit more without, hopefully, making them too busy. Do you think i should have some coloured pieces too? (blackwork is my love and addiction though- i'm a sucker for heavy contrast).

Wow Artstation has gone a long way since i was last on it a couple of years ago. The artist you suggested is really amazing!! I do like how he gives a hint/illusion of a background but too crazy detailed one. Now that makes me wanna go crazy on a piece of paper!!!!!