Old 18-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Chat Slut

wow thankyou sooo much, that was really helpful. i think your right... drawing the spidermen hasnt realy benifitted me in anyway of understanding the human anatomy.. and likewise with the roses. you know i am really passionate bout this, and like i said i wish i could of stayed on at college and completed my graphic design and art course. that was years ago. ive only really just started picking up a pencil again.

im just wondering if its worth me goin to university or tryin to get a home learning course. but its the cost. i mean, how much would those evening classes be aswell? thankyou though i appreciate your comments. Do you think ive got a potential of becoming good though, if i put the work in like? also i might like to buy a piece of your art one day i think its great. Why havent you thought of becoming a tattooist if you dont mind me askin? or are you happy goin as you are
NEIL_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

check out your local council website... a 10 week evening life drawing class is prolly about £70... WELL worth the money. I would reccomend this over home learning... art is subjective, to be able to improve, you need critical feedback.

I think you can copy well, which is a good start. Theres a lot of milleage in being able to copy stuff... you can learn a lot this way... and there are plenty of tattooists who earn a living doing nothing but flash this way. But it will only get you so far.

when Bettys around she'll be able to reccomend some great books. "drawing from the right side of the brain" is a good one.
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEIL_D View Post
Why havent you thought of becoming a tattooist if you dont mind me askin? or are you happy goin as you are
It took me a long time to realise that just cos I can draw... doesn't mean I should tattoo

...anyway... I'm scared of needles

....and blood

...and tattooists
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Chat Slut

Scared of tattooists squidge ?? BOO!!!!! We're not all that scary
alot of my clients tell me " I wish I could draw like that" and I always have the same answer : when I was five and you were five , we were both drawing the same stick men , it's just that since then I've been drawing almost every day - and the people that say " I can't draw " have probably only tried a handful of times . It's practise practise practise.....
The art of putting pencil to paper and producing an accurate representation is a purely mechanical act - something that we train our eyes and hands to do in conjunction with our brain . YES there is a spark of creativity in some people which allow them more artistic freedom and the ability to " make shit up " and make it work - but it's not the be all and end all of art . Look at bob tyrell , nikko hurtado and the like . They copy pictures - as do I alot of the time . We just have the experience to know what will work and what won't . I went through formal art training and got a degree and it has helped me because it MADE me immerse myself in producing art for years to the exclusion of all else . Yet again the most valuable thing I gained was experience .
Lay your hands on any reference and learning material you can and soak up the stuff that clicks . Apart from that - draw like fucking crazy . Every day

hope I helped

Last edited by Oddboy; 18-10-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: My spelling sucked . I got all worked up and everything :)
Oddboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Jedi Chat Master

Hiya! I went to art college for 3 years, and studied art at uni for another 3, and I can say that the one thing thats helped more than any of that isjust drawing straight out, as much as you can. Any type of medium, all subjects, and I don't mean just tattoo-stylised roses, as squidgy said, just get photos of roses and work from that. I wouldn't say uni would necessarily make you draw better, although I did fine art and it was a lot of art history/theory rather than simple drawing. I'm not sure what illustration courses etc would be like.

What I would say from looking at your pics is to understand what you're drawing and how it goes together, how it flows etc. What I mean is for example, look at the ship picture. The anchor on the right has one pointy bit on the left but the right bit is missing, floating off to the right. The front sail seems see-through at the top, suggesting its a rope, but at the bottom the lines dont seem to match up.
I understand you're trying to find your style and probably looking at lots of tattoo reference, but I believe if you don't know how a real anchor looks/what the various parts do etc, it's just pointless.
Good on you for posting, I know how scary it can be. Keep up the hard work, you can only improve!
Old 18-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
Chat Slut

yes thankyou all of you for your comments, it has actually helped alot. i suppose goin back to college is something i will have to consider, but il have to be quick woteva decide, i need to find something soon.

And yeah i suppose i need to expand in the mediums i use, and the references i use. if you could give me a few examples of helpful books.. whether it be anatomy or whatever, i think that will be my next purchase. and il just keep practisin. ive actually took a load of pics of my hands in different positions (sad i know lol), and ive been sketching them today. looks ok, hands are annoying i think to draw coz they so fiddly.... but hey its all practice.

thanks again guys!
NEIL_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Jedi Chat Master

Here's all the reference material in the world, it's dead good.
click here
Old 18-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany63 View Post
Here's all the reference material in the world, it's dead good.
click here
Lol bang on the money but lol
andyjoss is offline   Reply With Quote