Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick
Default Job Application Help Please!

I'm applying for a job online. I've uploaded my CV and I'm working on my cover letter now. So, how the devil do I answer this?

"Please detail any other information you feel is relevant to your application"

Thank you!

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

I've been applying on line too, and had the same question. I looked at the Job secification sheet and and just added things relevent to that.

Had two phone calls already! Fingers crossed!

Good Luck xx
Old 27-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #3

I've found a few choice phrases actually on the job centre website.
Now I just have to make them sound like my own!!

"I am punctual, reliable and work well under pressure, either as part of a team or alone. I am straightforward and positive with a friendly manner and a good sense of humour. This has helped me supervise staff and deal with clients and the public.I have been in positions of trust, handling money on behalf of others. My aim is to find employment in an environment with high standards and productivity

I have always enjoyed working with people and think my previous experience will allow me to work as part of the team and to be an effective representative of your company."

It's OK to have fun
Old 28-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

I must have filled out hundreds of application forms years ago. I always put stuff in that may not have been present in the academic qualifications section or 'duties of postition' from former employment, but things you think you could bring to the job anyway. Pretty much like you posted in your second post, really.

I always found the whole application/interview thing to be total bullshit anyway. Like the question 'Why do you want to work for us?' sort of thing - best realistic answer is 'Well I'm really short of money and have to resort to working for you bunch of cunts.'.
Old 28-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

And as a trip to my fridge to get a beer let my mind wander slightly, I just thought of how I could write an anthropological study of "Tattoo Predjudice In The Interview Environment".

About 10 years ago, I spent a lovely (no, really) year on the dole. I managed to sort my head out and get a proper handle on what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. In that time I was sent for many, many jobs, as the computing trade was still very bouyant and I was more than qualified for most things I was interviewed for.

But as I really didn't want to work in the computing sector, I thought I'd have some tattoo-related fun with my interviews. Most would entail me arriving at the interview, 'normally' attired, and during the course of said interview, casually rolling up my sleeves.

I saw on many occasions how quickly the wind changed when they interviewer was presented with an interviewee that was 'heavily' tattooed (or so I thought I was at the time, with only sleeves). In several seconds I went from probably over-qualified to shit-on-shoe applicant.

Sorry it's nowt to do with your OP Sam!
Old 28-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #6

Sean - same thing happened to me a couple of times but unfortunately when I really needed a job.

One interview was going great, I was booked on the training day that weekend, and then........... They spotted my tattooed hands..... Sorry, no tattoos allowed. Really says I, that'll be discrimination then......... Umm errr no, they fumbled.... We'll call you.... Phone call comes... Sorry, problem with your application, you'd be better off applying to nightclubs. I don't want to work in nightclubs you knob head

Next time, had a longer shirt sleeve and a cardigan on. All was going well til the sleeves rode up slightly, the interviewer glanced down and all of a sudden the interview was done

I did tell the job centre these things at the time but they didn't believe me as they said no-one was dicriminatory these days. Ha!

It's OK to have fun
Old 28-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via AIM to maryjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChick View Post

I did tell the job centre these things at the time but they didn't believe me as they said no-one was dicriminatory these days. Ha!
I got told by the job centre to sort out my apperarence other wise it was unlikley that anyone would employ me. That was when I had two facial piercings, braided hair and one wrist tattoo. Can't they not say things like this now the? I thought us tattoo folk could still be discriminated against.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to natstats

I don't really have anything constructive to offer at this time as I am knackered but goodluck to you Miss Chick, you deserve to have a bloody fantastic job that makes you happy whilst you earn! (not suggesting you become a paid pervert BTW!! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
I kinda don't trust people that don't have a little bit of shit on them somewhere....
natstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Chat Virgin

Smile

always talk about your tacit skills and your values to work. Most employers are moving towards "involvement" strategies.

If the online application was efficient it would have listed a person specification so go through it and add anything you may have missed.

best of luck.
Lorna181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to Not_falling

I have filled out endless application forms recently and 9 times out of 10, they don't even get back to me. I'm not sure if this is due to the volume of applications they receive for the type of work I'm looking for (Animal related) or the fact that I have a Zoology degree but not a lot of recent hands on experience.

Saying that I have been volunteering at the West Midlands Safari Park for the last 6 months, as much as I love working there, it really is a bitch to have to get up so early, use money you don't have for petrol to get there and come home at the end of the day and you haven't earned a thing

Anyway, rant over but back on topic-Good luck MonkeyChick, hope it works out better for you than my attempts of late