Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default Does it offend you?

In the light of all this Frankie Boyle lark, I've been thinking a lot about "Offensive humour."

When should we say stop?
Should we be able to censor humour? Or is humour the most organic form of free speech we have?

Why is it ok to laugh at some things, but not at other things?

Do people actually have a "right" to be offended by jokes? After all, they are just jokes.
Do they contain any truth?

Are offensive jokes widening the gap between races/religions etc... Or, do they unite us all with our ability to laugh at ourselves & each-other?

What do you all think?
Gothika85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Banned

I'm sorry but, if you're going to see Frankie Boyle you already know what you're letting yourself in for.

Last edited by cherryghost; 11-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.
cherryghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothika85 View Post
In the light of all this Frankie Boyle lark, I've been thinking a lot about "Offensive humour."

When should we say stop?
Should we be able to censor humour? Or is humour the most organic form of free speech we have?

Why is it ok to laugh at some things, but not at other things?

Do people actually have a "right" to be offended by jokes? After all, they are just jokes.
Do they contain any truth?

Are offensive jokes widening the gap between races/religions etc... Or, do they unite us all with our ability to laugh at ourselves & each-other?

What do you all think?
Offensive jokes have got really tame since the '70's. Then it was fine to have 'Love Thy Neighbour' Bernard Manning and Alf Garnet on prime time tv.
And go back to the WW eras and the joke songs that were made up about the wars.
Ask a black person if they were offended by the TV programmes I just mentioned. Thats nearer the answer than most of us can have any knowledge about?
If you want to know if anyone is offended by Frankie Boyle seek out a Jezza Kyle forum lol
rosary75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Chatter Box

Interesting question... I would say that everyone has the right to say they are offended by anything... but equally freedom of Speech exists for a reason... and as long as it isn't INTENDED to incite hatred it shouldn't be banned. and we should all excericse our judgement ie not go to watch a show if it may offend us because taste will inevitably vary it is impossible to start off the chain by banning one thing... then inevitably everything would end up banned... beacuase we all get offended by stuff other people like/dislike.

my tupence worth.. agree or not thats your right
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosary75 View Post
Offensive jokes have got really tame since the '70's. Then it was fine to have 'Love Thy Neighbour' Bernard Manning and Alf Garnet on prime time tv.
And go back to the WW eras and the joke songs that were made up about the wars.
Ask a black person if they were offended by the TV programmes I just mentioned. Thats nearer the answer than most of us can have any knowledge about?
If you want to know if anyone is offended by Frankie Boyle seek out a Jezza Kyle forum lol
I fucking hate Jeremy Kyle. Hahaha

Btw, I wasn't just revering to race jokes or Frankie Boyle. I was talking about humour in general.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
I'm sorry but, if you're going to see Frankie Boyle you already know what you're letting yourself in for.
True. And the couple who complained about him, knew this. Apparently, they found everything else funny. Except when he started talking about people with Down's Syndrome.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Chatter Box

So its OK for him to pick on everyone else except them?
i've seen his live show DVD... and I love it (sorry to say) no one is sparred.... geez some people
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Banned

Humour is subjective. Everyone has different tastes, and everyone finds something that turns them off.

If you think you're going to be easily offended by something - don't listen to it, don't watch it and don't buy a ticket to see it live. I think some people just generally like getting wound up about things, and deliberately subject themselves to whatever it is purely to kick up a fuss.
cherryghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

i often find that people hide a lot of truth in humour, they'll make a joke out of an uncomfortable truth ...my mum does it a lot... if there's something bitchy or snipey she wants to say to me she makes a joke out of it... "oh don't be so sensitive... I'm only joking" ... she's really not

My ultimate human hate is when people (children especially) take cheap shots at each other, humiliating them or putting them down and then try to brush it off with a "but it was only a joke", there is a difference between being laughed at and laughed with, if humiliating someone and destorying their self confidence makes you laugh does that make it ok, because some people find it funny?

...on the flip side, I love it when people use humour to highlight the irony of peoples ignorance, I dunno how to explain what I mean, but when comedians make homophobic/racist jokes, but the real punch line is on basis that the whole notion of homophobia/racism is so pathetic it becomes the butt of the joke

...either way both use humour to deliver an uncomfortable truth.

however a knock knock joke contains little or no truth... unless Dr Who really is at your door! ...so I guess it depends what kind of jokes you are talking about.

I like clever-offensive humour ...I don't like plain insulting humour ...burping makes me laugh tho

but I honestly have no conclusion about the freedom of speech bit lol ....and now I'm going to go and find out what the Frankie Boyle malarky is about LOL
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Boy View Post
So its OK for him to pick on everyone else except them?
Apparently?

I think they objected to the jokes because they thought they were juvenile & mean.

This makes me wonder, why do some people think its ok to laugh at some things, but not others?
Does this mean certain types of humour should be banned, & if so, will that lead to massive censorship rules for all types of humour?