Old 29-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #61
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Minx View Post
The way I see it is art like all of the arts, music, literature, etc. Different styles can be appreciated for different things, When I read sometimes I want to read a coffee table throw away novel, other times I like to read some pretty heavy going philosophy. With music, I listen to some music to jump around and go crazy in a club, and other times something more subdued and reflective. With art, some stuff its just wonderful to look at the craftmanship involved and think 'holy cow' other times I want art to provoke a response and discussion.

But to say something is, shit/pointless/waste of time etc is just narrow minded. We don't all like the same things, the world would be boring if we did. it doesn't give the things you dislike any less credibility or make them wrong, its just not your personal taste.

Volatile is just explaining the point to modern art, not saying why you should like it, as clearly you never will, but at least you might understand why other people do.
Word Sister, Word.

And garage/house doesn't really tickle my pickle either..
NEIL_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #62
Jedi Chat Master

S'all about the witch▲house these days.
Slybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #63
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
And David really???? The Piano is emotively one of the most amazing films I have ever seen, truly amazing acting/script.
Don't get me started...! Total piece of shite that bored me from start to finish.
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #64
Jedi Chat Master

See I think thats why people get so passionate about art, we asume that all being humans we all have the same emotions. (except for phsycopaths) When someone dies, you feel sad, you win something it makes you happy etc. So if something is moving to us, (In my case The Piano, which was so utterly heart wrenching and made me bawl my eyes out) you would assume it would have the same/similar effect on everyone. It seems alien to me for someone else to feel nothing at it.

Same for modern art, if it provokes a strong response for someone, its strange for someone else to feel nothing towards it.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #65
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
See I think thats why people get so passionate about art, we asume that all being humans we all have the same emotions. (except for phsycopaths) When someone dies, you feel sad, you win something it makes you happy etc. So if something is moving to us, (In my case The Piano, which was so utterly heart wrenching and made me bawl my eyes out) you would assume it would have the same/similar effect on everyone. It seems alien to me for someone else to feel nothing at it.

Same for modern art, if it provokes a strong response for someone, its strange for someone else to feel nothing towards it.
It's funny, though. The Piano totally provoked an emotion in me. But it was one of anger and aggression. Which is perhaps fine within the parameters we are talking about for art. I watch plenty of arthouse movies and love them -- or at least appreciate them -- and there are some exceptions, of course. But rarely does one get me as riled as The Piano did!
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #66
Jedi Chat Master

I thought you were talking about The Pianist- how dare you, that was an amazing film. But then I googled it, oh yeah, The Piano. That was pretty boring.