Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Question Financial Advice - with or without tattoos??

Hi

Long time lurker but first time poster.....and itís a bit of a strange one so i don't know how it will be received....it also wonít be too exciting to many but i am just trying to get some answers to some questions at this stage!

I am tattooed (both arms, chest, shoulders, leg) and work in a professional job - i currently work as a financial adviser arranging property finance for quite wealthy people (hnw mortgage/insurance broker).

I make sure i don't have any tattoos on show as they would not fit with my clients expectations - which is cool, that is the nature of the market i operate in.

However, there is a huge need for financial advice in the UK and all of this is provided by mainstream firms and banks - typical 'person in a grey suit, sitting behind a desk' sort of approach.

There are not many firms who promote such advisory services to those with a more 'alternative' outlook. I am using the term 'alternative' here in the loosest sense, it is not a term i like but i am struggling to find an, er, alternative.

To cut to the chase:

a) where would you go to receive financial advice, should you need it? bank, financial adviser, other?

b) do you think that being heavily tattooed/pierced or whatever has any bearing on the way people such as financial advisers interact with you or view you? do you care?

c) if there was a firm of advisers that provided ethical, professional financial advice but who were tattooed and had more of an understanding of where you may be coming from (in life), would you be less or more inclined to use them?

I have to stress this is not about trying to label people with tattoos as being any 'different' from anyone else. WE know we don't differ greatly to non tattooed people aside from having pictures on our skin, but there are nuances with tattooed people that non tattooed people don't understand - we have all had the 'but why do you want to do it' question!?

Taking financial advice on life decisions such as buying a house, retirement planning, knowing what to do with inheritance etc is pretty important. Do you feel that taking such advice from another individual (suitably qualified) who has more of an understanding as to where you are coming from/has a common interest is of any benefit, Or is it completely irrelevant!!

See, i told you it was boring......
gmalfunktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

I can't help but think your wrong on your views of the people who work in financial advice.

And as for getting advice you want to get advice from someone fca registered. What does it matter what they look like?

http://mytellings.blogspot.co.uk/
dougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

You are quite right, I have worked in financial advice or 8 years and come across all sorts of people in the industry and it is impossible to assume a whole profession conform to a stereotype.

It is not about looks or even tattoos for that matter, more about whether othet folks would prefer to deal with people who perhaps share a more common outlook on life.

The fca registered bit is, of course, a given.

There are not meant to be any sweeping generalisations in my post, just interested to know people's thoughts and experiences.

Last edited by gmalfunktion; 02-11-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Completely irrelevant to me if I'm honest.
I work in HNW too but on the insurance side. So far I have my chest, arms and back done but, like you, they're covered at work.
That being said, everyone knows I have them and I'm not shy about showing people photos - although I was in the early days.

Basically I'm heavily tattooed and I'm a bloke in a suit myself so no, I find the question a bit odd to be honest.
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Cool, thanks for the input. I might add that I don't have a business doing this, it was just something that came about in a conversation I was having.

Just interested to see if there is an apetite for this sort of service to be delivered in a different way ie not just a bloke in a suit (like you and i).

My colleagues generally know I am tattooed but clients don't. It is this covering up aspect that got me thinking as to why it has to be this way. If people talk about the fact that it doesnt matter if a professional is tattooed then why are there no firms that openly market themselves as representing this demographic.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
mog
Jedi Chat Master

I tattoo among others nurses, workmen, business people, lawyers, doctors, teachers, housewives,police, students, grannies, even a financial advisor! You can't stereotype tattooed people any more than you can stereotype financial advisors, anything that invites stereotyping is to be avoided I think. If you are sounding out a business idea, my view would be that it sounds a bit gimmicky and irrelevant.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Cool, I am not trying to stereotype anyone so apologies if it came across like that.

I think it would be waay to early to call it a business idea! (And it doesn't sound like a good one anyway!)

I guess I was wondering if you could make a living de-suiting the process and why it has never been done.

Ps I think I chose the wrong title for this thread as it asks a different question completely!!

Last edited by gmalfunktion; 02-11-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
mog
Jedi Chat Master

Well, we do have accountants, I think , approved by the tattooists and piercing association and certainly insurance companies that aim themselves towards tattooists, which would be a fairly large market. The financial and taxation side of tattooing is quite complicated ( being as we are collectives of self-employed individuals within each studio) so maybe that would be worth looking into?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Chat Virgin

That's interesting, and good to know.

It was a conversation about tattooists being self employed that led to this question of whether or not you are actively approached by financial advisers of any sort.

That in turn led to the whole de suiting idea.