Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland - where people tell you IN YOUR FACE what they think of you!!!
Posts: 1,402
Default etiquette for tattoo customers (or clients)

Just so that there isn't any doubt: When you are in a tattoo studio you should conduct yourself with the sense of decorum that you do when you're in any other business.

Going to a tattoo studio is no different that patronizing a good restaurant. You are the customer (although we prefer the term client) and we are going to try to make your experience the best one we possibly can. On the other hand, we have the right to expect you to conduct yourself in a civil, polite and respectful manner in return.

Your goal and our goal is the same: To get you the perfect tattoo in the most pleasant way possible. With a little etiquette, from everyone, it's not hard to do. To help make your tattoo experience the best one it can be, here's a list of some Do's and some Don'ts for your next visit to the tattoo studio:

1. DO try to have some kind of idea what youre looking for before you come to the studio- impulse buying isn't, usually, a very good way to find a tattoo that you'll be able to live with for the rest of your life. Of course, we understand that you may be coming in just to get some ideas; but you should have some kind of idea that led you to the decision to get tattooed in the first place. The more clearly you can describe what you want, the quicker and easier we'll be able to find the design for you.


2. DO NOT go into a tattoo studio if you've been drinking or if you're under the influence of something. Show your tattoo artist some respect and come sober- nobody likes dealing with drunks. If your breath smells of alcohol you're not going to get a tattoo- not from anyone reputable, anyway. If you're wasted, you won't make a good decision on what to get and you'll bleed so heavily your tattoo is likely to look like its done in pastel colors.


3. DO NOT try to bargain with your tattoo artist like you're some vendor in a Indonesian night market. You wouldn't go to the grocery store or a restaurant and try to talk a clerk or a waiter into lowering the price. If all you have is a certain amount, ask the artist (preferably up front) if he can work with that budget- if he can't, then wait and save up until you have the full amount. Bargaining in a tattoo shop is an exercise in bad taste; and the quickest way to get your artist annoyed. The last thing you want your tattoo artist being mad at you when he starts sticking you with needles. Some people act like its their responsibility to try and get a tattoo for some rock bottom price and they'll try and bargain an artist down just to see if they can. Thats offensive. If youre going to get something that youre going to wear forever, do you want the bargain job or the deluxe job? If you're tempted to bargain, stop!
Think about how much you want the artist to come down in his price
Divide that amount by how many years you think you have left to live.
Decide if those few quarters a year are worth being stuck with the bargain tattoo!
If you can't afford the tattoo you want, talk to your artist and see if there's a way to work out a payment plan (multi-session/pay-as-you-go) or wait and save up. If you settle for something else, or even a smaller version than you really want, you'll (probably) end up regretting it. Remember: Good Tattoos Aren't Cheap And Cheap Tattoos Aren't Good. People who price shop for tattoos end up with inferior tattoos- don't let that happen to you.


4. DO NOT brag, to a tattoo artist, about how cheap you got your other tattoos. You will not earn any brownie points and it SURE won't get you a better deal on a tattoo from the artist you're bragging to. If you are quoted a price, that IS the price- it's probably been set by the owner and if the artist has any leeway to adjust the price, bragging won't help. Most cheap tattoos are cheaply done- bragging about paying 20 for a tattoo is likely to elicit a critique of your tattoo that is less than flattering. If you want a professional tattoo, be prepared to pay a professional price.


5. DO NOT ask your artist to draw something just to see if he can. There are people who come into the studio and ask for one thing to be drawn after another without every getting anything. Don't be that guy!
If you want something drawn, an artist will be happy to work on one with you changing an re-drawing it until its just the way you want it; but make sure you're ready to get it if the drawing comes out right.


6. DO maintain personal hygiene and physical decorum. Unfortunately, this has to be said for some peoples sake. Theres nothing more unpleasant than having to work on someone who smells. You wouldn't go to the doctor without bathing, so do the same for your tattoo artist. If you just finished running and suddenly decide you just have to get your feet tattooed, go home and wash them first!
The same goes for bodily functions. If you're having some difficulties with your stomach (i.e. gas) it might NOT be a good day to get tattooed. You get the idea.


7. DO tell your artist about:
Feeling green or funny. Tell your artist right away (don't try to tough it out) so that he/she can deal with it- your artist is prepared for it and knows how to handle it.
Any concerns you might have about getting tattooed. Your artist is there to work with you and make the experience as easy as it can be.
Any medical issues you have (i.e. pregnancy, diseases, medication).


8. DO NOT try to force your artist to make social conversation if they don't seem receptive to it. Some artists like to talk and others don't. You want the best tattoo you can get so let your artist work in the way that he/she is comfortable. Your artist will appreciate the consideration and it'll be reflected in the work.


9.. DO NOT bring a cheering section to the studio. Many shops will not let ANYONE accompany you into the tattoo area. You're always free to ask, but very few artists want 5 of your friends crowding the work area while he/she is trying to mark you for life.


10. DO NOT bring children to the tattoo studio without asking first- call ahead if you have to. Your tattoo artist will really appreciate it if you can find a sitter for the kids so that you can come to the studio alone. Tattoo studios are not a place for children- there are too many hazards for children to be exposed to, its an adult environment and they can be very distracting to you, your artist and the other clients.


This may all seem to be common sense but the reality is that tattoo artists deal with breaches of this etiquette all day, every day. Unfortunately, as a result, many artists deal with it by becoming sarcastic, and sometimes surly. Do yourself, and your artist, a favor the next time you go into a tattoo studio and use your common sense. A little common courtesy and etiquette can go a long way towards making your entire tattoo experience much more rewarding and pleasant.


It's a small price to pay for a big reward


this is from a bulletin written by Mr. Jeffery Page......I just made some minor adjustments to make it more suitable for this country

Last edited by inked108; 31-01-2006 at 03:04 PM.
inked108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,952
Default

That is brilliant, Inked. You should get Neil to publish it....

And I'll remember the advice about the gas....
Combat Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland - where people tell you IN YOUR FACE what they think of you!!!
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Kitten
That is brilliant, Inked. You should get Neil to publish it....

And I'll remember the advice about the gas....

thanks but it ain't mine tbough......I just made a few 'adjustments'

Last edited by inked108; 30-01-2006 at 03:53 PM.
inked108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Slut
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,078
Default Nice One Inked!

Well said Sid.Have you got this printed on leaflets and left on the shop counter? Wouldn't be a bad idea.
There are some rules I could think of for conventions when you enter competitions.I judged some lovely work this weekend.But you boys need to shave your legs.Points were lost because we couldn't see through all the hair.Don't name your artist to the judges.Don't advertise your shop on your t-shirt, if you are wearing one, turn it inside out before you go to be judged.
Go easy on slapping creams and lotions on your ink too, this makes it glare under the lights so it's not easy on the eye.
And most importantly, make sure you know what catergory your tattoo should be in.There was some slight confusion over celtic knotwork and tribal.

Last edited by Caroline; 30-01-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland - where people tell you IN YOUR FACE what they think of you!!!
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
There was some slight confusion over celtic knotwork and tribal.


well I honestly don't see how you can mix the two (unless they are actually mixed in the piece?).......I mean all the judges were either tattooers and/or had at least an artistic background right?!?


-=S=-
inked108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Slut
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,078
Default Confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked108
well I honestly don't see how you can mix the two (unless they are actually mixed in the piece?).......I mean all the judges were either tattooers and/or had at least an artistic background right?!?


-=S=-
It wasn't the judes mixing them up, it was the clowns that were entering on their forms.Not knowing what they should be going in for.I was one of the judges (ok, so I'm not an artist) and the other two guys with me were artists.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland - where people tell you IN YOUR FACE what they think of you!!!
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
It wasn't the judes mixing them up, it was the clowns that were entering on their forms.Not knowing what they should be going in for.I was one of the judges (ok, so I'm not an artist) and the other two guys with me were artists.

k Carrie......I'm glad we cleared that up then! ......well kinda......LOL


-=S=-
inked108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Second Skin Tattoo,Derby
Posts: 857
Default well said

best thing you ever posted! couldn`t have said it better and if I tried it would probably come out on the surley side. some people just don`t understand the rules!
I had an example of bad manners this week,I did a tattoo very similar to the beckham thing,ie; no wings but slightly more detail in the body.he had the outline drawn up by my oppo and started by him a few months ago,he didn`t have enough cash to get it finished so just the outline was done,months go by and then he fones out of the blue saying "I want it done today" we explain that his artist is booked up and he says"I don`t care who finishes it I just want it done!" like its my fault he hasn`t been,and how fucking disrespectful is that.anyway my mate says get it done so after telling them I`m unhappy about it agree I`ll finish it as a favour.
I must be honest and say I made a very good job of it,despite the figiting and whinging that it hurt(mardy bastard) .I worked fast to get it done because he was struggling and didn`t want him having to come back for just a little bit so finished a bit quicker that quoted.then the fun bit I tell him the price which was agreed before and knocked some off for the speed ,he gave me some and said he`d come back with the rest,I allowed this because he knows people I know so off he goes,comes back 45 mins later and says "I`ve been thinking about it and I think I`ve gave enough for the job!". "I see" i say politley."Yes ,I`ve foned my mate and he thinks your over charging me so I`m not going to give you any more.he says your hourly rate is so much so it should only cost this much!"
I explained that he was getting it cheaper than we quoted and that I did it quick to help him out,so now I`m out of pocket.and I`m sure of telling everyone about the fucking brilliant tattoo we did he`ll now be saying we are rip off merchants.can`t win.
sorry for nicking your thred just had to get this off my chest!
BASTARDS!!!
Tim Croke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 53 year old Hairy Male Highlander in Scotland
Posts: 2,071
Talking Celtic v Tribal.

I had 2 characters come in once asking to see any designs I had of "Celtic Warrior Symbols"
I pointed them to the celtic designs and after a few minutes they came back shaking their heads - "No ... not that stuff ... Celtic Warrior Symbols - the black ones"
I pointed them to the TRIBAL pieces ... they came back with big smiles on their faces took a piece each and paid double what I would have charged .... WELL .... they were CELTIC WARRIOR SYMBOLS after all!
Rare as rocking horse shit!
AlanMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 53 year old Hairy Male Highlander in Scotland
Posts: 2,071
Thumbs up Fuckwits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy
best thing you ever posted! couldn`t have said it better and if I tried it would probably come out on the surley side. some people just don`t understand the rules!
I had an example of bad manners this week,I did a tattoo very similar to the beckham thing,ie; no wings but slightly more detail in the body.he had the outline drawn up by my oppo and started by him a few months ago,he didn`t have enough cash to get it finished so just the outline was done,months go by and then he fones out of the blue saying "I want it done today" we explain that his artist is booked up and he says"I don`t care who finishes it I just want it done!" like its my fault he hasn`t been,and how fucking disrespectful is that.anyway my mate says get it done so after telling them I`m unhappy about it agree I`ll finish it as a favour.
I must be honest and say I made a very good job of it,despite the figiting and whinging that it hurt(mardy bastard) .I worked fast to get it done because he was struggling and didn`t want him having to come back for just a little bit so finished a bit quicker that quoted.then the fun bit I tell him the price which was agreed before and knocked some off for the speed ,he gave me some and said he`d come back with the rest,I allowed this because he knows people I know so off he goes,comes back 45 mins later and says "I`ve been thinking about it and I think I`ve gave enough for the job!". "I see" i say politley."Yes ,I`ve foned my mate and he thinks your over charging me so I`m not going to give you any more.he says your hourly rate is so much so it should only cost this much!"
I explained that he was getting it cheaper than we quoted and that I did it quick to help him out,so now I`m out of pocket.and I`m sure of telling everyone about the fucking brilliant tattoo we did he`ll now be saying we are rip off merchants.can`t win.
sorry for nicking your thred just had to get this off my chest!
BASTARDS!!!
Sorry mate, but that would have been one customer who's jaw would have been broken ..... "Honest cuntstable .... he stood up, fainted and fell against the worktop .... ask my receptionist or apprentice"
AlanMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.