Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Mumbler

Send a message via MSN to Robodance
Question Does it sound like my first tattoo is healing OK??

Hi All,

Was just after a the benefit of the forums experience if poss...Had my first tattoo about a week and a half ago on my ankle (TaeKwon-Do in Korean lettering) and absolutely LOVE IT...

But just wanted to check that I'm not missing out on any aftercare.

Essentially, after removing the dressing, I've been gently washing it twice a day in Johnsons Baby Wash, then applying Bepanthen cream thru the day to keep it moist.

I've not had too much bad scabbing at all really, just a light, raised covering which has started to naturally peel off now. When applying the cream I've been careful not to disturb any of the light covering where possible but I've accidently knocked a couple of small bits off thru applying & towel drying, although there was no pain and the tattoo doesn't appear different underneath to the parts where it came of naturally.

Is there anything else I should be doing now to ensure a good long term result? or is that pretty much it?

Many thanks in advance...and 'Yes'...I'm already mulling over number 2!

Rob

P.S. The photo was taken quite soon after the tattoo was done.
Robodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to artycow

Once all the scabs come off get some palmers cocoa butter moisturiser on it,3 times a day for a month then every night forever

Keep it out of the sun and if you are int he sun put sunblock on the actual tattoos

badabing
Old 22-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by artycow
Once all the scabs come off get some palmers cocoa butter moisturiser on it,3 times a day for a month then every night forever

Keep it out of the sun and if you are int he sun put sunblock on the actual tattoos

badabing
I'm planning on washing with olive oil shower gel for my new one.
They are mine not yours, go away
Good beer is not cheap, cheap beer is not good!
www.inkednation.com/Bathsheba
Bathsheba Darkstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Mumbler

Quote:
Thanks Arty, I think the missus has some of that and I love the smell of the stuff anyhow!

I've also noticed that the colour is not quite as dark/rich as the ink itself and it's as tho my skin is really really dry (probably not surprising I guess!) but is that normal?

I guess the cocoa butter will help
Old 22-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to artycow

Its only a few days old,give it time,new skin has grown over the tattoo,give it time to settle and use cocoa butter once all the scabs come off and dont worry about it
Old 22-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Mumbler

Quote:
Its only a few days old,give it time,new skin has grown over the tattoo,give it time to settle and use cocoa butter once all the scabs come off and dont worry about it

Thanks, Arty. Much appreciated.
Old 22-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

sounds like you're doing everything right anyway mate
Old 22-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Jim
Jedi Chat Master

Washing it twice a day is nowhere near enough to prevent it scabbing.
If you had washed it every hour and applied Bepanthen lightly after every second wash you would have had little or no scab at all.
If you think I'm full of shit, look up my "Outline" thread, that was done last Wednesday, and I already done the first colour session today!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

just out of interest, and purely cos i'm intrigued... from a technical point of view, how does the skin heal itself without scabbing? My (very basic) understanding of the healing process (generally for any type of skin abrasion) was that a scab formed to prevent infection and allow the new skin to grow underneath... in which case i'm suprised how quickly it heals without a scab.

...or is the scab purely the bodys way of preventing infection, which in this scenario is replaced with the constant washing.
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com

Last edited by squidgystar; 22-08-2006 at 08:50 PM.
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Rambler

I was all paranoid about my tattoo, had it done on the 11th (friday) and by the sunday the scabs had started to come off naturally and im now totally scab free except one TINY bit.

Ive been keeping it itch free with prep h and not picking it and making sure no clothing was rubbing on it.

All the ink is a regular solid black. No light patches or skipped bits.

Sounds like its healed properly but i didnt think it would be THAT quick. Im paranoid!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote