Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Conventions, Exhibitions and other Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Trainee Lumberjack

Default Thinking about your first convention? Look HERE

1. If you can , call ahead, most conventions have cheaper prices for pre bought passes.
Also, if applicable ask for a convention room rate from the hotel and try to book in as far in advance as possible. Get that hotel room ASAP, you want to get in there on the thursday usually, that way your all settled for friday and into that social groove thing. Also, do a convention outside your city and area, as a tattoo vacation. If you look into it, there are conventions in a lot of interesting cities.

2. If you want to get work done by an artist, particularly a popular one, then try to book time ahead with them, you may get there only to discover that the artist is booked from day one. You can also buzz websites for a listing of artists, or call the infoline for a brochure to see who is working the show.

3. Merchandising makes money, but at the last hour of the last day you will find T-shirt and other prices mysteriously go on sale , so you could save some cash, however you could screw yourself out of a hot t-shirt too. Take cash! Not all stalls have the facilities to take debit of credit

4. Some of the artists work hard on their artwork and flash, so be careful when taking photographs that you do not give the impression that you are taking pictures of flash or custom artwork.REFRAIN FROM PLACING BEVERAGES ON ANY TABLES WITH ARTWORK, GODS MAN the life you ruin may be your own !!!

5. Don't be whimsical , whether your getting a tattoo or buying a book don't judge either by the cover. Just because they're at a convention it does not mean they know what they are doing, as always , check out the portfolios first and foremost.

6. Don't run around like a giddy kid , or interrupt working artists for a photo, just ask politely when they have a free moment , often enough you can get photos in the lounge/ bar later, and god forbid, don't be dumb enough to touch or hug a working artist, he/she needs a steady hand!! Most of all get out there and support your artists , you don't have to get tattooed, and if you are interested in learning more about the art, conventions have a wealth of information and collectables. See you out there !!!!

taken from http://tattoos.com/convent.html

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2loo
Me?? Lap dance?? I'd look like Mr Whippy taking a shit if I tried!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Enjoy Responsibly

and dont barter with a tattooist. Get the work off the one you want.NOT the cheapest.

www.nurosetattoos.com
BRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Chat Slut

Send a message via MSN to Rick Send a message via Yahoo to Rick
Thumbs up

some good advice there,hope to one day get to a tattoo convention
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

i would love to go to a tattoo convention i dont think i would get inked at one but would be really ace to see the tattoo that other people have i have only reallt been into tatooing for a short time and im a bit nervouse that i might get laughed out of the place.
pain or pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Send a message via MSN to Saffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain or pleasure
i would love to go to a tattoo convention i dont think i would get inked at one but would be really ace to see the tattoo that other people have i have only reallt been into tatooing for a short time and im a bit nervouse that i might get laughed out of the place.
Just go. I felt the same way when I went to my first one cos I have no tattoos. I don't even look like i fit in. I got stopped on the stairs at aberdeen and asked why I was there There are too many people there for anyone to really notice u though so go for it.
Old 30-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

as saffy says go for it, doesnt matter if u av one or more or no tattoos, i did a convention in france an on the sunday we ad a coach load of OAPs in an they were all made welcome, you will find like in all walks of life that there are a few ppl so far up their own arses that they are in danger of disappearin but 99.9% of the guys you'll meet are friendly, polite,and helpful an will make u welcome
tattoojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Rambler

woot woot ..today was my 1st convention ....was truly amazing ....just ink as far as the eye could see ...which wasnt very far because of the sigarette smoke but was fun
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Chat Slut

I think im gonna have to get myself to a convention, probably Derby in july, save on hotels etc.
trueroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Mumbler

Great advice Charlie.

I will b going 2 my first convention at Newcastle in August, can't wait
Young Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Chat Slut

Cool

going to my first convention in liverpool WOOT