Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Chat Slut

The general police policy for tattoos is that "they must not be obscene, rude, racist, sexist, sectarian, homophobic, violent or intimidating". Of course, these classifications are made by individuals in the recruiting process - so what the wearer may class as (say) a perfectly acceptable cheesecake style pinup might easily be judged as sexist by the recruitment team of that police force. Some forces also say that tattoos unbecoming to the office of constable will get you rejected - I believe I read somewhere about an applicant who was rejected due to a sleeve of cakes and sugar skulls (my guess is that the skulls lead to her rejection, as - rightly or wrongly - skulls could be seen as intimidating, no matter how prettily they are done).

Its not a blanket ban, although some forces say they take the size and number of tattoos into account. This generally just covers tattoos on the forearms - any tattoos on public skin (face, neck, hands) will pretty much get you rejected outright as those are almost always judged as intimidating. Tattoos on the back and legs are (as far as I know) ignored.

I've got some degree of experience with this, and tattoos are useful as a ground-breaking / connection making tool as more and more members of the general public have tattoos. However, there are still a sizable section of the public who find them difficult to deal with, and the police have to take them into account just as much as anyone else. Its certainly still a long way from the point where tattoos will be no problem at all for potential police recruits.

Officers with tattoos on their forearms are given long sleeves to wear. IIRC, the gentleman who wrote the letter in the magazine did not say what coverage he had, so it's difficult to judge the Met's reaction as to whether it was fair or over the top.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
Banned

That's a great post, CH.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
graysilva

Who cares?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Jedi Chat Master

and people say im a knob...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
graysilva

tattoos or not, it doesn't stop most of them being sarcastic, condescending pillocks.

"Anyone with the desire for power should never be given it"

Old 12-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
Jedi Chat Master

*applause*
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysilva View Post
tattoos or not, it doesn't stop most of them being sarcastic, condescending pillocks.

Glad you said 'most' there Gray, as a generalisation you may be right, but my little sister is in fact a very hot, hard working little bobby, if I do say so!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #28
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rockabillyhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Glad you said 'most' there Gray, as a generalisation you may be right, but my little sister is in fact a very hot, hard working little bobby, if I do say so!
Gray Silva, sweeping generalisations? never in the world, your lucky he didnt say "some" or a" a few" , oh wait...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #29
Always Underestimated

Send a message via MSN to brooksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabillyhun View Post
Gray Silva, sweeping generalisations? never in the world, your lucky he didnt say "some" or a" a few" , oh wait...
I have family who work with the Police and they would probably agree with Gray.
"Don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd... the leper... shit-kickin' surfer. Look at me. Underestimated from day one. You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would ya?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysilva View Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #30
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

you get "sarcastic, condescending pillocks" in all walks of life... I even know the odd tattooist who fits that bill!
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com