Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Finding an artist

Hey all,

First off, I'm a tattoo noob - I have no ink but I'm looking to get some. I'm now 22, and I've been carefully considering what I'd like since around 18-19.

I'm confident I know what I want design wise, but I'm wondering - how to find an artist?

I've visited four local (within 30 miles) studios to have a chat and a look around portfolios etc.

I've bought a few issues of Skin Deep and one article mentioned something interesting regarding the quality of tattoos coming from a studio in Middlesbrough (which is 20 minutes from me). The article read something like

'You wouldn't exect great tattoos to be coming from Middlesbrough, Usually they're from London, Leeds or Birmingham'

Now, I know there's no conclusive list of 'who's the best' tattoo artist - but I'm struggling to weed out the great guys from the OK guys.

For example, if you ask someone who's the best footballer in the UK you'd get 100 different answers, but names like Ronaldo, Rooney etc (I'm not into football ) would keep coming up.

I guess I'm asking for people opinions, I'm after a single colour (greywash?) tattoo, full sleeve in a contempory style - any names to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Flan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

First of all welcome!

You have the correct approach by doing your homework, I wouldn't agree with the comment about only getting good work in London etc .... there is a whole host of amazing talent throughout the UK, someone will be along shortly to give you a good list ... You have chosen a black'n Grey style tattoo and I can tell you that in the UK are some of the worlds best!

Dont let distance time or cost put you off, a good tattoo is worth all of that and much more
buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelligan View Post
First of all welcome!

You have the correct approach by doing your homework, I wouldn't agree with the comment about only getting good work in London etc .... there is a whole host of amazing talent throughout the UK, someone will be along shortly to give you a good list ... You have chosen a black'n Grey style tattoo and I can tell you that in the UK are some of the worlds best!

Dont let distance time or cost put you off, a good tattoo is worth all of that and much more
Thanks mate,

Distance and cost really isn't an issue (not to be big headed - but it is for life right?! )

I was really just wondering the process and approaach people on here go about finding their artists - I'm not fussed if the studio is in Birmingham or Blackpool, it's the talent that's important - I just think it's a bad idea to walk into the first studio I see and ask for a tattoo!

The Skin Deep article caught my attention because it mentioned the great tattoo heritage associated with Leeds, London etc. - I just wondered who were the 'major players' in those areas.

I'm going to check out the Middlesbrough studio (Dark Circle I think?) this weekend and have a chat with the artist.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Jim
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Rambler

yeah, I agree with this guy.

When I started looking at tattoos, I was caught up on "who's the best" - of course you want the best, right! But I had real difficulty finding an answer and that's becuse there are just SO MANY EXTREMELY talented people out there.

Also, there are so many different artists doing so many different kinds of things - "the best" at one thing may well not be "the best" at another.

So don't worry about the best - find someone who does something you really like, and that will work for the particular piece you want; and have faith in that person, don't get worried about whether someone else in the world can do it better cause you'll drive yourself mad.

There are guys on here who can give you specific names much better than I could. Good luck!
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flan View Post
it's the talent that's important - I just think it's a bad idea to walk into the first studio I see and ask for a tattoo!
Perfect, You really are spoilt for choice!

I'm rubbish and remembering who is who but others will suggest plenty to look at
buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rockabillyhun

Im really bad at recomendations for black and grey... however Louis Molloy @ Middleton does some fantastic black and grey...http://www.tattoos.co.uk/
but what do you class as "contemporary?"

forgot to mention you have the best N00b attitude ive "seen" in ages, good on ya, and good luck!!
rockabillyhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabillyhun View Post
Im really bad at recomendations for black and grey... however Louis Molloy @ Middleton does some fantastic black and grey...http://www.tattoos.co.uk/
but what do you class as "contemporary?"

forgot to mention you have the best N00b attitude ive "seen" in ages, good on ya, and good luck!!
Thank you.

Mr. Malloy was one of the first artists I contacted - and have since had no reply, though I appreciate how busy he must be. (he does seem to put wings on a lot of his work too ) I'll possibly try him again.

I also contacted Bob Hoyle, who replied within 24 hours and was really helpfull. He's located in Halifax, I'll be planning a trip to the studio in the next couple of weeks for a look around and a chat.

*EDIT: I'll try and get some example pictures of what I consider 'comtempory'. It's not realistic or japanese in style, nor is it classic or cartoony (pin-ups etc.)

Kind of like the guy with the extensive grey/black work featured in Skin Deep - here's the site:

http://www.shockmansion.com/

Jim

Last edited by Flan; 09-01-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rockabillyhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flan View Post
Thank you.

Mr. Malloy was one of the first artists I contacted - and have since had no reply, though I appreciate how busy he must be. (he does seem to put wings on a lot of his work too ) I'll possibly try him again.
Hahah yeah Louis can be a bugger to get hold of, well worth the wait tho (but I am biased ))

Cant say Ive seen Bobs black and grey but some forummers have amazing colour work off him
rockabillyhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Wow a noob who had done there homework properly. Nice one, you will be one fot eh lucky few that probably gets a good piece of work for there first tatt.

So when you say contemporary, looking at the link Im thinking you mean like nu skool?
The name that pops into my head is Woody, at woodys tattoo studio in high wycombe. He does very nice nu skool and excellent B&G work so should see you right on both counts, really nice guy too.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Bring on the Trumpets!!

Dark Circle will do you Proud for sure. im sure it is Mel's shop good guy great tattooist.
vogelrok is offline   Reply With Quote