Old 20-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #31
Jedi Chat Master

This is my point exactly. If I wanted to give myself a shit tattoo, why shouldn't I be able to buy this completely legal product from Amazon?

For me, honestly, the bigger issue is that it is being sold with something in the description that says "you'll make your money back in no time", or words to that effect, the implication being that you can and should start using this to make money tattooing other people.

The point made about censorship of not selling flick knives and air rifles to under-18s is neither here nor there. Those are accepted as weapons intended to maim or kill something. Tattoo machines are merely, in most people's eyes, a conduit for creativity. (Anyway, we all know any kid can grab a knife from the kitchen drawer.) But razors, really? How can it be illegal for a 16-y-o to buy a razor if he needs a shave? That's weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Minx View Post
We then had a similar conversation to this at work. At the end of the day its freedom of choice for people getting said tattoo, people can do what they want with their own bodies, if they want to binge drink, self harm, take drugs, unprotected sex, shit tattoos their choice and we cant tell them otherwise. I mean really you know that if your mate who has no training is tattooing you from their house with an ebay/amazon kit its gonna be substandard.

The thing that annoys me more is when people start opening up shops and doing it as a business. And the EHO does nothing to shop them. Uneducated Joe public falls victim unwittingly, as most would assume that if you go into a health registered shop with flash designs, that they are going to walk away with a reasonable standard tattoo. They are the poor punters who really didnt know better.

Last edited by David T-W; 20-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #32
We Are Not Worthy

Ok so i emailed the suppliers directly with a few questions, this is how it went.

I am enquiring regarding the 'Full Tattoo Kit' priced 149.99. Are there any requirements i would need for this item, such as a certificate of registration with the EHO? Is an auto clave supplied? Will i need any experience disposing of dangerous waste and needles?

I have no prior knowledge of tattooing, do i need to take a course to learn about blood bourne pathogens and sterilization? Will i need to take an art course to learn how to draw before i can practice with the kit?

Do i need a tattooers licence or be under a studio's licence to be able to purchase and use this product? Or is it available to everyone? Is there an age limit on the sale of this item?

Kind Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sarah.

I see you are putting alot of thinking into this, the kit meets all EU standards and all needles etc meet the required laws. An autoclave is not supplied but i could get hold of one for you. You do not need any experience drawing etc - a practice skin is provided but obviously if you are no good at drawing then why would you start tattooing? There is no age limit to buy this kit. But you must make sure you do not tattoo anyone below 18. You do not need a tattoo license. Hope i have answered your questions , please feel free to email me back if there is anything else.

Many thanks
sarahdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #33
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
You do not need any experience drawing etc - a practice skin is provided but obviously if you are no good at drawing then why would you start tattooing?
Either this guy is ridiculously naive in thinking no-one without the ability to draw would ever consider picking up a tattoo machine or he's just that stupid.

Quote:
There is no age limit to buy this kit. But you must make sure you do not tattoo anyone below 18.

Again, either he thinks everyone who tattoos with a home kit and no previous experience is an honest person who respects the laws regarding tattooing minors... or he's just that stupid
sarahdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #34
Jedi Chat Master

apparently my old supervisors son just bought that same "kit" and has started tattooing his dad/mate's no apprenticeship or experience but its ok because "he had plenty of practice on the fake skin that came with the kit" same old story. i guess ignorance IS bliss.
DigitalDecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #35
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdent View Post
Either this guy is ridiculously naive in thinking no-one without the ability to draw would ever consider picking up a tattoo machine or he's just that stupid.

Again, either he thinks everyone who tattoos with a home kit and no previous experience is an honest person who respects the laws regarding tattooing minors... or he's just that stupid
And presumably he's only told you this stuff because you asked. I doubt there's this info inside the box when it arrives... He knows he's taking the piss, tbh.
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #36
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDecline View Post
i guess ignorance IS bliss.
True true

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote