Entry #8 2 3.28%
Entry #9 0 0%
Entry #10 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #61
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to Mrs Crash

I don't think the winner should be excluded for the same reasons as already stated:

1. why penalise them?
2. it should encourage others to up their game

and

3. what I'm always banging on to my kids about - its the fun of taking part

and 4. (I'm on a roll now)

If you only win by excluding someone who's producing better work, then you haven't really won have you?

I wish I had an ounce of artisticness in me!
Mrs Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChick View Post
But if the same person / couple of people win all the time it'll put others off entering.

The underwater one had very diverse entries but there are a lot less this time which makes me think people just assume they're not gonna win and don't bother entering.

It takes the fun / amatuer element away.
I agree with Sam. Squidge works really hard on these competitions, and the points she has raised have come about because they are queries that are discussed with entrants/other forum members.

With the one entry per person, maybe Squidge could issue each participant a number that they have to quote when they submit their entry? Send her a PM, state that they have their entry ready and request their number. It would also eliminate late entries - maybe add the tally once submisisons are closed?
cherryghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #63
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Crash View Post

If you only win by excluding someone who's producing better work, then you haven't really won have you?
Beautifully put.
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #64
Jedi Chat Master

Iv entered a few of these, JUST for FUN! I cant draw or paint really. Just enjoy the taking part. I didnt enter this one, because I couldnt THINK of anything... Well the Subject I wanted to draw was WAY TO COMPLICATED for me to do!!! lol - But I think EVERYONE should try these Comps, Just once, they are fun and its just FUN to paint.... Try it!
Signet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #65
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

I kind of agree with Monkey chick and cherry ghost... I have won one competition already, and received the prize for the last (thank you phil) so I sat this one out in case people were getting fed up of me but but Mrs Crash, you make a very good point and I'm happy to go with the majority if this is what people want

I will also change the competition account PW so that all entrys can be PM'ed there and will be posted on the same day by myself. I'd still like to take part though so will forfeit my vote to ensure it's all fair... and I won't share any of the entrants names until the last day. If anyone disagrees, please let me know

and seriously, I say it every month... if anyone has any suggestions as to how they would like it done differently, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

The sealife competition proved that the more people who take part, the more people vote and the more fun it is... so if you think you know a way of making the competitions more appealing speak out
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #66
Enjoy Responsibly

I always take into consideration the concept more than the execution as I understand that a lot of entries come from people who believe they are not very good artists.

www.nurosetattoos.com
BRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

if anyone thinks they can come up with a good subject and has a small token prize they would like to offer for future competitions, please PM me
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #68
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Crash View Post
I don't think the winner should be excluded for the same reasons as already stated:

1. why penalise them?
2. it should encourage others to up their game

and

3. what I'm always banging on to my kids about - its the fun of taking part

and 4. (I'm on a roll now)

I wish I had an ounce of artisticness in me!

great post!
Joote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #69
Chat Slut

i agree that there should be a STRICT cut-off point, in order for the votes to reflect the genuine favourite

I also like the idea of all entries going up at the same time - but would this be too much of a pain for the organisers?

the 'winner sitting out' debate is a minefield... i have no idea what to suggest!

x
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #70
Chat Slut

how about runner-up or last-place choosing the next topic? may encourage more to join in if the subject wasn't viewed as 'chosen by the best artists'?

Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote