Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Newbie questions, artist recommendations, subject suggestions

A friend and I recently decided to get tattoos. Neither of us have any at all, and my first thought was to have something like a black (tribal) dragon, or a gecko.

I started investigating, and found some amazing artwork, and so I now plan on getting a bigger tattoo and going for something classy. I especially like some of the work I've seen from Frith Street, and have found that my local places are really not my style. The tattoo that's blown me away most is this:

Size and position will be like the following, but a little shorter (down to the top of the bottom-most red flower)

I have some questions...

1. Anyone know roughly how long that would take?

2. Know any artists who would do a job as good as that (other than Vargas herself)? London and Hertfordshire area.

3. I'm open to suggestions of what to have, but I'm thinking the Three Muses (three women from ancient Greek mythology who inspire creativity).

4. My friend has fairly dark skin. Are there any good examples of dark-skinned work in London / Herts? Doesn't have to be the same style.

5. Any more suggestions? I'm a total newbie. Just in case you hadn't gathered that.
20000RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Re point 2: Why not just opt for Valerie Vargas herself, if you like her work so much? She is even in your catchment area, as you know!
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T-W View Post
Re point 2: Why not just opt for Valerie Vargas herself, if you like her work so much? She is even in your catchment area, as you know!
Yes, I certainly will if I can, but if there are other artists out there who's style I like as much or even more, then I'd like to find out about them and then make a choice.

At the moment, she is top of my list. Don't know about her waiting times though...
Old 22-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Enjoy Responsibly

Check out Xam, also at Frith St. you wont get neater line work anywhere

www.nurosetattoos.com
BRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to TommiR8

Time would vary ALOT imo.

i would have thought a decent sized tattoo with that much technical skill would have taken 20 hours..

i dont know.

not your average "greek mythology woman" but i think that would look cool

very different again ...
TommiR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Chatter Box

Personally I would go into Frith street tattoos and book a consultation with Valerie. If your 'blown' away by someones work inparticular then wait and get the work done by them

I had to wait 5 months to get tattooed by Stewart at frith street, but now I have an amazing tattoo for the rest of my life and It gave me time to save up for It as well!

Love the idea of the Three Muses as well, nice original idea!
andy_lee007uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Chat Slut

Youre doing the right thing by taking your time and getting something done that you really like as opposed to just going to your local studio and picking something off the flash.

Sounds like you are pretty open minded, have a good attitude and i imagine will end up with some great ink.

Just be prepared for artists to not share your vision and present more stumbling blocks than answers, and dont be afraid to walk out of a studio, or as many studios as it takes, before you find someone on your level who is going to accomodate you and not just put what they want on you in their signature style.

this isnt meant to be a dig at any artists, i understand how hard a job they have sometimes with the time wasters and the morons with benal ideas who dont appear to live on the same planet, but it has to be said that sometimes some of the better artists seem to have a habit of not being particularly easy going with potential clients whom they dont know (arent friends with) who are trying to get their first tat booked.

sorry that wasnt meant to turn into a rant, lol
Old 23-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20000RPM View Post
Yes, I certainly will if I can, but if there are other artists out there who's style I like as much or even more, then I'd like to find out about them and then make a choice.

At the moment, she is top of my list. Don't know about her waiting times though...
I think thats a good attitude to take. There is a tendency to suggest the same small group of artists on here over and over. Of course the ones suggested are superb. But as you say, with them being recommended so much that's where everyone is going. I don't belive for a second there aren't other less high profile artists who's work you could be equally blown away by that just haven't come up on the radar yet. You may well look around and end up deciding Valeries stuff is the best, but it doesn't hurt to look does it.
Slybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybacon View Post
I think thats a good attitude to take. There is a tendency to suggest the same small group of artists on here over and over. Of course the ones suggested are superb. But as you say, with them being recommended so much that's where everyone is going. I don't belive for a second there aren't other less high profile artists who's work you could be equally blown away by that just haven't come up on the radar yet. You may well look around and end up deciding Valeries stuff is the best, but it doesn't hurt to look does it.
Thanks. I know what you mean, I have seen Frith Street recommended all over the place. If on the other hand I was having something Japanese done, I'd probably go here: http://www.japanesetattooing.co.uk/index.php
Old 23-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

good on you for doing some decent research into your first tattoo some lovely reference ideas and agreed that you should book a consultation with valerie
lalala is offline   Reply With Quote