Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Thinking of getting inked

Hi

I am new to this forum and I am thinking of getting my very first tattoo done on the back of my neck, but I have heard so many horror stories about how painful they are so I was wondering if people would be kind enough to post what your experience was like getting your first tattoo done.

I know that this kind of thread has probably been posted many times before but I am really keen to get one done but fear that if the artists starts and I can't handle the pain then I will be left with a tattoo half done!!

I not looking to get a large one done, just a symbol/Chinese meaning but I am worried that because I want it at the back of my neck that it's not a fleshly area to get done and that it's going to really hurt, has anyone on the forum got one in the same area and if so how bad was it getting it done?

Thanks
Skindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Live Action Auteur

Truthfully I found that spot pretty painful.

However, not so painful that I couldn't just suck it up until it was done.

I would urge you to think very carefully about that spot though, especially as a first tattoo - how do you wear your hair? Is it going to be easy to cover?

Be sure to research your tattooer carefully, you might think it doesn't matter much for a small tattoo, but in an on-display spot like that you don't want substandard work - especially as any future cover ups have to be bigger than the tattoo underneath!
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean View Post
Truthfully I found that spot pretty painful.

However, not so painful that I couldn't just suck it up until it was done.

I would urge you to think very carefully about that spot though, especially as a first tattoo - how do you wear your hair? Is it going to be easy to cover?

Be sure to research your tattooer carefully, you might think it doesn't matter much for a small tattoo, but in an on-display spot like that you don't want substandard work - especially as any future cover ups have to be bigger than the tattoo underneath!
Thanks for responding, I have long hair that 50% of the time I wear down and the other 50 I wear it up so I thought that by doing it in this area I could choose whether to have it on show or not and through the winter months I tend to wear a lot of jumpers with high necks which would easily cover it.

Also thanks for the advice about doing research for the artist I am looking to try and find one that has experience in Chinese symbols as I obviously want it to look good and for them get it right .
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Chat Slut

i love the pain coz am weird like that. go for it n dnt worry bowt the pain, coz afterwards youll be left with a luvly piece of art on your body :-)
NEIL_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

I found the base of my neck absolutely fine but are you sure you want such a pulic area for your first tattoo?

Are you drawn to this area for any reason? You may want to think of other places you could put it. Firstly because you might find yourself getting unwanted attention (tattoos are not liked by every-one), and secondly because it's a bit of a waste! Why put your first ever piece of ink where you can't see it?!

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

As far as I remember, i didn't find the back of my neck too bad, but I would definitely echo BettyB and Monkeychicks comments about choosing that spot for a first tattoo.
tat2loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

i'd have to agree with the other comments on whether you want your first tattoo on your neck, i have a big one down my back that starts at my neck, and how ever well covered most of it is the top is nearly always visible and i get a lot of comments, not all nice! as for the pain it wasn't too bad, I found my stomach MUCH worse so not too much to worry about, and if you only want a small symbol it won't take too long to do and will minimise the pain!
lf85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

i have a fairly crappy scorpion on my neck. i dont remember it hurting but it was weird, like your head was in a washing machine haha

i always had long hair and nobody saw it unless i wanted to. i never thought id cut my hair. now its short though and im wanting to shave bits tbh, if youd told me id want that 5yrs ago i would never have believed you!

ive never had anything other than positive comments on my tattoos, well one guy asked me if i realised it would last forever..... doh

FlaminHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Chat Slut

my first one was on my chest and didnt hurt one bit.

since then another time i had one on my chest it fucking killed, more than any other spot.

i think it has to do with tattooist, im told some hurt more than others, depending on whether their lining is top notch or whether they arent really as bothered and just want you in/out as painlessly as possible. hence not as deep or careful? again this may not be true as it is just somehting i have heard and observed as my exeperience.

as for the kanji, its not something id ever had, but anyway the main thing is to make sure what you are requesting translates 100% into what you are expecting it to say. the chinese language is a funny one and can be tricky to translate correctly. so be sure to use multpile sources to confirm the phrase and symbol correlate.

most good tattooists shudnt have problem carrying out a simple bit of kanji perfectly, in its standard form it isnt the most difficult of tattoos to do.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Chat Virgin

Thank to all the rsponded, it have certainly given me someting to think about, it;s funny how most of the replies have mentioned about the back of the neck for a first tattoo, i don't know wy but I really like the idea of this spot and to be honest if people can see it on a day to day basis I'm the sort of person who would care what other people thing about it just like when I had my eyebrow and nose pierced, yes it attracted attention but my attitude was "get over it this is me, deal with it!