Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Ageing tattoos - a slight rant

I had the misfortune yesterday to stumble across a forum I'd never heard of , where there was a conversation pulling my work to pieces . I know it's nothing to take personally , but that's never happened to me before - finding a conversation between strangers about how my work will fall apart in a couple of years .
Now forgive me , as this isn't a personal moan - it just made me think about the permanence of the work we do . I hear time and time again that photo realistic tattoos are lesser than other more traditional forms , as without lines and a shit load of black , they just won't last !
To me , the strength of realistic work is that it will age gracefully . Yes colours fade and spread in all tattoos - but with realistic work , it just ends up looking softer and a little out of focus - which isn't the worst thing in the world !
I have to say I love all styles of work , ( I'm jealous of the trad artists that can compose and execute such strong bold statements )and all tattoos WILL age eventually . To me , the worst sign of an ageing tattoo is when the lines start to blow out , but still - tattoos will age !!!!! All colours are subject to the weathering of time , and just because I put a yellow or green into a portrait of a womans face - does that mean it's going to drop out sooner than the SAME colour when I put it in a trad piece . I've been told I have a soft looking style to my realistic work - but I still aim for a high level of saturation , I don't wash my colours out to fuck .
Im starting to rant , so I'll shut up . I'm just a bit gutted to find such harsh opinions on my work when these people haven't seen it in the flesh or ever spoken to me ! I'm an over critical idiot anyway so I guess I should just work harder to prove the cunts in this world wrong .
If anyones a member of tattooed freaks forum - tell em I said go fuck yourselves
Oddboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Default Bullshitters.?

guess that every artist gets shit from some quarter?
we all do...!
take a lot of it with a pinch of salt i say.!

have seen some paul booth stuff 10 years old look like crap.
i have seen guy atchison stuff 10 years on look shit too.
have seen don ed hardy stuff i think is piss poor.
horiyoshi stuff thats dam awful.

dont matter how good the artist is . its all going to age.

hell who hasnt cringed at stuff they did years ago,and you think to yourself..fucking hell was that really me.?)

we all have stuff we dont like ,that we have tattooed.

but if our customer is happy with what we do THATS WHAT COUNTS.!

as for people pulling us apart behind our backs.?

GET USED TO IT......WE ALL GET RIPPED APART AT SOME STAGE.

FUCK EM ALL..........SIMPLE.!

inkcastle bebo

inkcastle website

myspace inkcastle
PERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Live Action Auteur

Aw, don't sweat it.

It's just because colour realism is too new to have proved itself yet.

Just keep on trucking, you are great at what you do and time will prove your assertions.

PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Funny, I was thinking to myself the other day how I think lines are the bit that ages the worst in a tattoo.

The bold realistic work that doesnt have fine detail or outlines I think will actually fare very well, work like yours and Kamil in particular.

Plus they would I imagine be a lot easier to touch up in years to come then trying to repair old lines that have spread.

I also think a lot of it is luck of the draw, the ink used and how well the artist puts it in. I have seen old tattoos on people where on one piece all the red has completly fallen out and another piece by another artist equaly old where the red is still in fine.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

It ain't about the lines, it's all about depth and contrast.

I wonder how many times I've had to say that over the years

http://www.facebook.com/nigelkurt1
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

oh goodness... pay no attention! Tattoo freaks is a website that actively promotes and shares information with scratchers, selling and swapping machines openly. I was spamming forums with sugar project information and got drawn into that conversation before I even looked at the rest of the forum or their profiles and realised what it was about... that thread was actually separated from the sugar project thread cos it went so off topic, I don't think the guy liked that I was spamming and was doing his damndest to pick a fight... all I was trying to do was promote the charity event which was why I didn't argue too much

...take five minutes to look at the work done by the people who posted on that thread, you'll feel much better!
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Minx View Post
Funny, I was thinking to myself the other day how I think lines are the bit that ages the worst in a tattoo.

The bold realistic work that doesnt have fine detail or outlines I think will actually fare very well, work like yours and Kamil in particular.

Plus they would I imagine be a lot easier to touch up in years to come then trying to repair old lines that have spread.

I also think a lot of it is luck of the draw, the ink used and how well the artist puts it in. I have seen old tattoos on people where on one piece all the red has completly fallen out and another piece by another artist equaly old where the red is still in fine.
Totally agree, i have a large Kamil piece and soon to be a full leg sleeve, so I will report back when im 60
(if i make it that is!)
easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Magazine Editor

Man, it must be really hard to hear others (usually less informed) individuals start to lay into a piece of ink that the artist has spent a long time creating, but I feel this also happens in all walks of life.
When I first took over the helm of SD I used to let the criticism get to me so much that I nearly thought 'fuck it' but I hung on in there and have developed an thick skin and I'm really glad I stayed. (I soon realised that you can't please all the people all the time)
It does still feel like a kick in the balls every now and then when the work you feel proud about gets slated.
Your work is amazing and I have to agree that maybe the photo-realistic tattoos will age but so what? So will all tattoos given time.
As you said, all tattoos will fade eventually and we aren't all stupid enough to think that the tattoo will look as good as the day it was done fourty or fifty years done the line.
Rest assured there are many of us out there that are proud to wear your ink.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

I agree with many of the previous comments, especially Nigel's.

There are some artists whose work I really admire but even they have the odd piece that I think will age badly, mainly due to lack of contrast. It does not matter if you're placing white next to black or pink against green, its getting the colours bouncing off each other that will help give a tattoo longevity. That and a customer who is capable of using sunblock

Its not nice to be criticised but as long as you're doing your level best every day and producing good work, you can do no more.

Remember, when it comes to tattoos, everyone is a fuckin expert!!!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Chat Slut

This thread is just making me paranoid that my tattoo is going to age horribly! lol

But seriously, I love naturalistic style tattoos, and your work is an amazing example of the style! I have a naturalistic tattoo that I had done about 18months ago, it still looks great now but whether it will be looking as good in 10 years as it does now is questionable, but I don't care because I love it now, I do what I can to care for it (it's a good thing I never much liked sunlight) and I'm just pleased to have it on me. I'm sure everyone who wears your work feels the same

Actually, thinking about it my tattoo would probably be a perfect test case for this theory because while most of it is naturalistic and non-lined, but the butterflies are copies of my mum's traditional style butterfly tattoos. So I have a tattoo with and without lines, done at the same time, by the same artist and obviously it's not like one part of it can be better cared for than another Right, thread for 2010: "Which part of my tattoo has aged worst?" lol
FelineWolf is offline   Reply With Quote