Old 22-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Advice on Japanese / Asian Piece

Hello

First time posting, forgive me if I'm in the wrong section or any other social **** i'm going to make.

After the 'mistakes' of youth, I'm looking to get some tattoos that I'm happy with, some great art and not just the flash from the local guys wall.

Am eagerly anticipating some new work by Roy Priestley at Skinshokz and some finishing off by Curly in Oxford .... however for another corner of the body - upper arm - I'd like what I see as possibly a Japanese piece. I say 'possibly' because many of the elements of Japanese tattoos such as Koi, Dragons and other mythological characters dont have meaning or longevity for me. I like the occasional dotting of blossom, like the waves, shading, maybe black and grey with some colour picking the blossoms out.

I'm not limited to Japanese stylee but can only flick through art and say 'yep like that' now and then, picking out artists whose work is somewhere in the ballpark. But hey there are loads if different interpretations of the same theme, heavier linework, less realistic, blockier ... I have and will have more of a harsh Samoan / Polynesian blackwork and for this piece i'd like something hmmmm 'pretty' ... is that allowable in a rufty tufty tattoo world?

For example, I like Buena Vista Tattoo Clubs Asian section - dont know what it is but its just got a certain feel about it .... their Realistic Trash Polka is stuff that I could not come up with - so thats what I mean, I find it hard to come up with NEW ideas about what i'd like and instead go 'I like that, but mmm not that, something different' - what a pain in the ass!

SO! BVTC are at Tattoo Jam, am finding email communication tricky as from five mails only had one reply, not sure theyre getting through or my rambling style of writing doesnt translate to the German way of thinking ... but after liking their Asian gallery, it may be that they only want to do 'Realistic Trash Polka' so stuffed again!

Ahhh yes a question - can you guys help me out with someone in the UK or from elsewhere who will be at a convention, who tattoos in a light, precise, arty, realistic, wow kind of a way, maybe with blossom, waves, flowers etc .... or suggest artists whose work is a bit like BVTC's Asian stuff .... I made an error with tattoos and this time i'd like something thats the nuts ...

Thank you for getting this far!
Samoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Chat Virgin

Some examples - not neccessarily subject, though I like the greay and teh blossom, but the style and use of colour - very subtle .... like the heart and flowers ... just something unusual and subtle about the flowerstyle and shading hmmmmm you can tell i'm not technical ....
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Japanese / Asian Piece-bvtc16.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Live Action Auteur

She doesn't exactly make work like this, but I reckon she could, have a chat with our very own Juliet Preston (Artycow on here).
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Thank you will get in touch. More suggestions welcome tho...

Was browsing a picture section on here of 'likes' and came across one by Johan Finne at Evil Twins Sweden, investigated and oooo nice ... but looks like a popular chap, and whilst one artist from Evil Twins is at Tattoo Jam, it's not Johan (

Just had confirmation that BVTC will not tattoo in any style other than 'Realistic Trash Polka' even though the website gives examples of other styles of work - confused .... anyway, had another look at Evil Twins and teh examples that stand out to me for style, colour, linework etc are posted at the end >>> We all want great work and it is worth travel and it is worth waiting - but I guess if theres someone closer to home that does similar work that I havent heard of then it would be silly not to ask around ... et voila this is me asking!

johan - Johan - Evil Twins Tattoo

Johan - Johan - Evil Twins Tattoo

Old 22-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Rambler

Not as realistic but shading always impresses me...
Rob Admiraal
ADMIRAAL TATTOO AMSTERDAM
Jet100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Rambler

or Jon nott... closer to home but again more traditional jap.
Jet100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Rambler

I also wanted a tattoo in the style of johan but having looked at loads of artists in last 6 months noone does anything to that standard in that style in this country. In my opinion of course...

Someone on here paid flights etc to go over and had a brilliant piece by johan, have a search.

Try Marcus Maguire in Scotland for a similar ish style.
The Mad Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Chat Slut

Buena Vista seem to have let their current popularity go to their heads a little recently.

I have been hearing rumours of 200 per hour and only wanting to do very large pieces at conventions. Not sure exactly what constitutes very large, but I know that the pricing figure is correct.

Dave.
Old 22-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Plumsie

You could try Oddboy who posts on the board occasionally, He does some fairly similar stuff.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=240 137851&albumId=45439

Just a couple of examples of his work, much more in his gallery or check out the forum tattooists showcase thread to see some other stuff.