Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Question Tattoo idea - opinions and artist recommendations?

Hi, first post on here so I thought I'd just jump in the deep end (don't hate me!)

Basically, I'm looking to get my first tattoo and have been thinking of it for 2/3 years with this solid idea. I'd like to get a rearing/running horse on my ribs, probably on my right rib side in black and grey (but as light a shading as possible)

This link here is quite a good idea of what I'm looking for (minus the rider) - I'd like the horse to look pretty realistic with the muscle definition and the facial structure and expression but also recognizable from far away and fairly clear. Sorry not asking for much am I?
Other ideas are here (but less aggressive) and here

Artist-wise I was thinking about using Daniele Tonelli at The Family Business tattoo but I'm open to any suggestions at all, realism and black and grey skill is the main thing I'm looking for
Oh and I know the ribs are gonna hurt! Despite the girly username I'm pretty tough!
Thanks
lipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Chat Virgin

The ribs are a notoriously painful place to get done, not just because of the bone being near the surface but also because of how soft the skin is and how many nerve endings are in it. Grit your teeth and I'm sure you'll do ok.
You should consider emailing your design to an artist or two and see what feedback you get. If money is no object and you're willing to wait a bit longer you have pretty unlimited options. It might also be an idea to take a walk down to a studio, be it The Family Business or otherwise with your design in hand and speak to them about it. You never know, they might have ideas you never thought of.
Best of luck with it, and I hope you get the end result you want
thedreadedbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Chat Slut

You're looking at a big piece and being in the shop / with the artist a long time, and spending a fair bit of cash. With all that in mind, I'd seriously recommend using the internet to narrow down your choices to three or four studios, then going in (you might need to ring and make an appointment to do this) to see the studio, look at portfoilos and meet the artist to see what they're like and what they think of your idea.
It sounds a lot of kerfuffle, but I've had work done at assorted "big name" studios in the UK, and the one that I've had the most success, best work and best experience with is the one where I actually went in before getting anything done. You get a feel for the place - and if it doesn't feel right - walk out! If the artist seems disinterested - walk out, and if you just don't like it there - walk out! Seriously - I wish someone had told me that before getting work done, it really is a case of going with your feelings and its hard to do that over email.

Of course, it's not always possible. I've got an appointment booked with a brilliant American artist for when I'm on holiday, and I can't go there first before making the appointment, but I've got a good feeling from the emails, and from artists who have met the artist I'm going to see. However, if I walk in and it's wrong, I'll quite happily lose my deposit rather than risk ending up with something that's not right on me forever.
CookieHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstick View Post
Hi, first post on here so I thought I'd just jump in the deep end (don't hate me!)

Basically, I'm looking to get my first tattoo and have been thinking of it for 2/3 years with this solid idea. I'd like to get a rearing/running horse on my ribs, probably on my right rib side in black and grey (but as light a shading as possible)

This link here is quite a good idea of what I'm looking for (minus the rider) - I'd like the horse to look pretty realistic with the muscle definition and the facial structure and expression but also recognizable from far away and fairly clear. Sorry not asking for much am I?
Other ideas are here (but less aggressive) and here

Artist-wise I was thinking about using Daniele Tonelli at The Family Business tattoo but I'm open to any suggestions at all, realism and black and grey skill is the main thing I'm looking for
Oh and I know the ribs are gonna hurt! Despite the girly username I'm pretty tough!
Thanks

that picture is beautiful, i think without the rider would look abit boring as the way the hair moves would look great on the curves of the body, but thats just me
i dont have any artists to suggest but have a good look around, go to some tat cons too
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Thanks so much for your replies guys! End of June (which is when all my exams and stuff finish) I'm gonna go down to London and just spend a day going to all the places I'm thinking of, that definitely seems like the best idea.
And thanks CookieHound for telling me to have a look round places and get the feel, I think that's great advice!

Just wondering if anyone's got any specific artist recommendations?
lipstick is offline   Reply With Quote