Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum

Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tattoo Talk (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Polynesian and Japanese 3/4 sleeve - need help with background (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23167)

pllefrancois 07-07-2012 03:54 PM

Polynesian and Japanese 3/4 sleeve - need help with background

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all !
I recently started my first 3/4 sleeve. The bottom part is polynesian/samoan tribal and the top part is japanese. there is only a couple retouch and another black filling session and the polynesian part will be finished.
I had the lining of the japanese part done a couple days ago. I have to wait for it to heal and then we will do the background first as it is all black and gray and we dont want to make the drawings too dark. We want the background to be darker than the drawings themself.
I am undecided on the background. I do like the japanese waves backgrouns but if this is what i choose I think that by adding a bit of red ink in the black ink, we could create a little bit more depth. What do you think ?
Do you have any other suggestions on the background ? I am really undecided.
Dont look at the drawings the shading isnt done and it does not even look like what it is suppose to look.
Thanks all this is really appreciated !

Diezel_FW 07-07-2012 06:27 PM

I would recommend laser treatment on the Japanese parts at the top, and then start again, but all polynesian, it will look a thousand times better. Mixing these two styles is almost never really going to look great. The artist clearly knows next to nothing about Japanese tattooing, and has done a very, very, VERY poor job so far. Everything is too small, badly placed, and badly lined. I would seriously consider some laser treatment on what you currently have, and then finding a good quality artist who knows a bit about Japanese artwork and tattoos.

bamz 07-07-2012 08:10 PM

I usually don't talk wack, but that thing, that's supposed to be a koi, is let's say... not good at all.
I wouldn't worry about the background and listen to Diesel_FW's advice.
If you proceed with the rest of the tattoo... and do it with the tattooist that has done this to you, than you would end up with one real bih piece of sh*t, that eventually will be regretted by you for the rest of your life.

Danny Brown 07-07-2012 10:19 PM

i agree with everything said so far and would like to add that the carp is already SOOOO dark with the heavy and cramped lining that will spread even more that if you go dark background then....... actually i can't be bothered to continue. basically it'll look crap

miltonfox 08-07-2012 06:22 AM

the koi is a total mess mate far to much scales

sorry it looks terrible

pllefrancois 08-07-2012 11:54 PM

Lets just say that the wacky lines are the way i WANTED this to look. A perfect tatoo would not even be close to the meaning behind the piece. Quality of the tattoo is not the thing i worring about. The quality is way better than the drawing looks like. The lines are not good because this is the way i wanted it to look. the koi has more scales than normal due to a personal choice. the drawings are not in the perfect positions but they NEEDED to be placed like this in order for the meaning of the tattoo to be what i wanted it to be. The piece is barely started. anyway the tattoo is not for others... it's for me. :)
The thing is it's not suppose to be a JAPANESE tattoo, it's suppose to be a japanese inspired tattoo. I knew from the beginning that the two styles would be hard to fit together but those two styles are from two different cultures that I identify myself to. This was very important for me to incorporate those two styles in the piece.

Danny Brown 09-07-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pllefrancois (Post 668909)
Lets just say that the wacky lines are the way i WANTED this to look. A perfect tatoo would not even be close to the meaning behind the piece. Quality of the tattoo is not the thing i worring about. The quality is way better than the drawing looks like. The lines are not good because this is the way i wanted it to look. the koi has more scales than normal due to a personal choice. the drawings are not in the perfect positions but they NEEDED to be placed like this in order for the meaning of the tattoo to be what i wanted it to be. The piece is barely started.

ummm... yet your asking where to go next with it?????

pllefrancois 09-07-2012 12:43 AM

I asking about the backgroung.. not the drawings into the piece. Not that I need to explain it but let me get it down for you.
Those drawings were drawn by a little girl that was seriously injured by the tsunami in thailand. I used to be working for an NGO working to help that kind of people and I was in charge of the team taking care of her. She unfortunately died a couple months after the tsunami. So this is why the drawings were so important to me and i wated to keep them IDENTICAL size, shape and placement. (She drew those on my arm with a pen, right where they are tattooed. The number of scales on the koi represent the number of bodies i came across while working in thailand. I wanted to keep the size of the drawing but wanted to incorporate this exact number of scales.
I am not here to get judge on the decisions i made regarding the shape and origins of the drawings....
I just need help to find a kind of background that would make those drawings pop out.

peterjsmyth 29-07-2012 10:26 AM

well said, people are to concerned how it looks and not the meaning behind the tatt its just tattoo snobbery. you could go with lotus flowers with some light waves

Rosco5 29-07-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjsmyth (Post 670368)
well said, people are to concerned how it looks and not the meaning behind the tatt its just tattoo snobbery. you could go with lotus flowers with some light waves

Sorry but if you think wanting a tattoo to look good is 'snobbery' you don't any business being on this site.