Old 13-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default 3/4 Japanese sleeve tattoo

Hi everyone, a complete newbie here, so please be gentle.

I'm Macedonian, coming to Scotland to visit my wife's family over the Christmas period and I will be there for 3 weeks. I don't have any tattoos yet simply because I think I needed time to decide what I REALLY wanted.

Now I know I want to get a 3/4 (possibly 1/2) traditional Japanese sleeve tattoo and I've been looking for an artist for a while now.

Richard Pinch's work looks great and I was hoping some of you might answer a few questions for me:

- since he has a "first come - first serve" policy, am I right to assume that he works on the tattoo until it's finished, rather than in sessions as most tattoo artists? (is that even possible with a 3/4 sleeve tattoo? don't forget, I'm a newbie...)

- can anyone give a rough idea about how much he charges per hour?

I don't mind having it done in a few separate sessions but I wont be there for a long time and I will be in Ayr so travelling all the way to Aberdeen more than once is close to impossible...

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated...

Thanks!

PS. I'm open for ideas when it comes to other artists as long as they are good.

Last edited by gustafski; 13-09-2012 at 11:09 AM.
gustafski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Chat Slut

I would contact the shop directly and ask them. I get tattooed by Richard and generally he tattoos in 2/3 hr sessions. If you phone them they will tell you the hourly rate - its very reasonable for world class tattooing.

Because it is a first come -first served shop there can be a lot of people waiting outside the shop every morning. Some weekends there are as many as 12 people all hoping to get tattooed. You need to get there early to be guaranteed an appointment.

Do you realise how many hours a half or 3/4 sleeve takes? A long fucking time for a colour one. My half sleeve Was something like 5 sessions of 2-3 hrs. Getting one in a single session is highly unlikely unless you have baby arms. Also, how long to you think you can sit for cause I don't like much more than 3 hours at a time. If you have never been tattooed before, you might want to find out how long you can handle.

Richards work is awesome though.

Last edited by Robz; 13-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

I do realize it takes ages for a tattoo like that... My options are limited considering the time I will be there. I would gladly have it done is several sessions but i don't think that's possible. And I know how hard is to find a really good tattooist who can do a proper traditional Japanese sleeves...

As you can imagine, my options here in Macedonia are limited (unless I'm after a few stars on my arm - no offense)...
Old 13-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Chat Slut

You could also look into Steven wrigley at Irezumi in Glasgow but as said the chances of getting of getting a 1/2 or 3/4 sleeve in one sitting is very unlikely, especially if you have never been tattooed before, i find that it starts to get a bit much at round the 3-4 hour mark. I have 6x3 hour sessions booked for my full traditional Japanese sleeve but even then I might need more
Gixerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Or Soap at Lab Monkey Tattoo in Stirling.
Robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz View Post
Soap still working? I've heard he's amazingly quick at doing Japanese.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz View Post
Thanks guys, I will contact Soap via email and see what he will say, and then let you know.

I also know there are some amazing guys in London but I will only be there for couple of days. So not really possible.