Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Good traditional tattoo artists outside of London?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any good experiences of traditional artists anywhere else in the UK, although preferably in the North of England (Birmingham and upwards ideally).

I'm after some traditional work, and there are an abundance of good artists in London it seems (in particular Frith Street and Black Garden are rich with talent and I would value work from ANY of the artists in either of those studios), and whilst I am happy to pay a premium for top quality work, I would rather it be on the basis of the work being excellent, rather than the geography and local economics being the reason for the cost. It seems to me that there are many awesome artists in the north, such as Oddboy in Leicester, the boys at Creative Vandals in Hull, JJ at Awake.Arise in York and Bez in Sunderland who charge about half as much as London artists while producing work which is easily as good as anything in the capital, just different styles.

So...this isn't meant as a "where can I get cheap work" thread, but I would like to be fully informed as to artists who execute good quality work but don't need to add London rents, rates and transport costs onto their hourly rates. I know that a "good tattoo is never cheap and a cheap tattoo is never good" is a saying that is bandied about a lot, and I believe in that sentiment. I'm not after a cheap tattoo...just one which has relative costs to other excellent artists up in my neck of the woods.

It may be that London is the place which top quality trad artists aspire to work...in which case I will suck it up and go there...but if there are some northern gems out there I would like to know about them first and be able to make an informed decision.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received, and I thank you in advance!
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to fluffer

traditional or neo traditional?..imnot splitting haors, but there is a difference, then i can share some information

www.gentlebentattooer.co.uk
fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Chat Slut

I guess that depends on how you define neo-traditional... I have a pretty large piece on my back that I would consider neo (or maybe new skool??) trad which is all super bright colours, thick, slightly angular outlines in a vaguely graffiti style way... I don't mean that style, but then I am looking at more modern in style than sailor jerry (or even the stuff Richie Clarke does from Liverpool, as good as it is). I guess the best comparison, for want of a better one, dare i say it.... Is almost Ed Hardy-esque... Clean, bright colours but with a reasonable level of detail, nice colour blends etc.

I don't know if that helps or if I am just making stuff up haha!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Live Action Auteur

Gre Hale?

(Caveat, he's one of my husband's business partners)

Gre Hale // Rain City Tattoo Collective, Manchester UK.

For really right colour though, check out the lovely Bradley Tompkins in Swansea

BradT

Nick Baldwin in Birmingham

Nick Baldwin Tattooist

Cassandra Francis in Leeds

tattoos and artwork by Cassandra Frances

There are loads more but if you start there, we can suggest others later!
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
We Are Not Worthy

I have work from Gre and would definately recommend him or indeed anyone at Rain City. There is plenty of work on their website.
captain_cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Love Bradley's work.
David T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Chat Slut

PaulaHK, I haven't looked through all of those artists, I was aware of Nick Baldwin before, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gre Hales stuff! Sensational....He might be "the one" lol. I will do some more perusing when I can use my computer rather than my phone.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Chat Slut

Rich Smith at Five Magics here in Sheffield works predominantly in the 'new school' style and, while I've personally never been tattooed by him, I've only ever heard good things. His work is very striking.

rich smith

Big, bold, bright and clean.
willatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to fluffer

the dudes at rain city do nice work, but id say they are neo traditional, as you said ...Richie Clarke ...hes outside of london...or go see mil martinez in london for proper traditional work, hes a good dude

www.gentlebentattooer.co.uk
fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Live Action Auteur

Fluffikins, Alfonzo the OP said more modern than Richie Clarke's work

Mil is guesting at Rain City soon, I think? So many guests booked in I get mixed up!
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote