Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Tattoo Study!!

Hi everyone!! I'm Claire and I am currently studying for my masters degree, in which I have decided to focus my thesis on tattoos, gender and the body. I will be using the forum on this site to interview you guys on your opinions of your tattoos.
So if you would like to take part please take a look at the rest of this forum post and all the information you need will be on that!

Last edited by SailorClaire; 03-01-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: punctuation needed to be sorted
SailorClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Chat Virgin

Default Information for study- please read!!

Hi everyone and thanks for taking a look at this discussion thread! I am studying for my Masters degree at the moment and as part of the course I have to do an original study on a topic of my choice. I decided to look at the tattooed body, a personal as well as an academic interest for me!

The focus of my research will be on the experiences and societies perceptions of tattooed women, and how these may differ from those of tattooed men.

This project aims to further understanding of women’s experiences of being tattooed and will answer questions such as:

Do women challenge typical gender norms through the practice of tattooing? Or are they creating a new way to express femininity?

Is the tattooed female body considered rebellious within society? What makes it rebellious?

Are the experiences and perceptions within society of the tattooed male body any different to those of the tattooed female body? If so why are they different?

I will be using this forum to conduct my research by posting questions on this thread every few days!

PLEASE KEEP READING IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PART!!!! IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!!!

What is required from you?
You will be invited to take part in an online focus group on the discussion forum site you are currently a member of, in which you will be discussing issues with other members and me regarding your tattoos, your experiences of being tattooed, your thoughts on the reactions to your tattoos within society, your own perceptions of your tattooed body as well as anything else to do with tattoos and body modifications that you feel is important within the discussion.Please do not hesitate to discuss these issues using anecdotes and stories of your experiences.

Your responses will be available on the internet for other members, in the same way any other posts and forum threads on the site are available, however, if you do not want other members to view your response, then it is perfectly fine for you to private message me with your answers rather than post them within the thread. I will be keeping a record of your responses on my personal computer and they will be used in the subsequent write up of the study.

Place and duration of focus group:
The focus group will take place online in the chosen discussion forum site over a suggested timeline of 2 months. This will allow adequate time for me to post questions and to receive responses. I will aim to put up a new question every other day to allow time for you to respond. Therefore I suggest that if you want to take part throughout the whole discussion, you should check the thread every other day for new questions.

Consent and right to withdraw:
You are free to withdraw participation at any point. Participation is completely voluntary. Even during the course of the discussion, if you wish to withdraw or wish not to answer a particular question or questions, you are free to do so.

Also I am aware of the nature of online discussion forums, and that some people may only want to post once on a thread, therefore you will not be expected to keep on posting, and may respond as often or as little as you like.

If you would like to discontinue your posts on the thread you are free to do so and do not need to contact me to inform me of your decision to do this. However, if you would like your previous posts withdrawn from the project, then you would need to contact me with your username so I can remove your responses from my notes, but I cannot guarantee I can remove them from the website (this depends on the website and their terms and conditions on posting and removal of posts). If you do wish to withdraw your responses, please inform me by May 2013 at the latest. This will give me time to remove your results before my final write up of the project.

Data storage:
The raw data will not be passed on to anyone in future for personal use of any kind. I, Claire Beale, the only investigator in this study, shall be responsible for the information when the study is over. I will ensure that it is stored safely in its original format and in accordance with the University of Birmingham’s Codes of Practice for Research.

Confidentiality:
Due to the interviews being conducted through an internet discussion forum, it is likely you will use a user-name or nick-name rather than your real name, meaning that your identity is anonymous to an extent, but most forums require a real name to sign up and/or create a profile, so you will be traceable, and therefore not completely anonymous. I will however assign each participant an ID code for the write up of this study, so you will not be identifiable and therefore your responses will remain confidential if mentioned.

Right to information:
If you so wish you will be given a chance to check your data. If you have requested to be anonymous, you can ensure that nothing is included which may identify you. Also, a summary of the research will be made available to the participants, as well as a copy of any publications resulting from the research, if desired.

Further queries:
If you have any other questions and require further clarification, please email me: clb103@bham.ac.uk. I will be happy to answer any questions. Also feel free to email my supervisors if you would like to discuss anything with them:

Dr Charlotte Ross

rossce@adf.bham.ac.uk

Dr Emma Foster

fosterEA@adf.bham.ac.uk
SailorClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Whilst I commend your study I don't think you are creating anything new here.

This kind of thing has been studied and commented on a whole lot. The new mag Things and Ink is specifically tailored towards tattooed women and it covers a lot of this stuff in it's first issue.

Can I ask, do you yourself have any tattoos? If so to what extent?

I would hate for the results of this study to come across as either massively feminist or judgemental.

Do you have a control group of non-tattooed women to judge how the feel they are percieved?

http://mytellings.blogspot.co.uk/
dougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Sorry me again more questions.

Are you going to take factors such a location and age in to account.

I know that I would be looked apun differently in somewhere like Shoreditch and than I would walking around my home town. Also this is an international website.

Age too.. it is not really the norm for a woman of my age (30 next Thursday) to be heavily tatooed however the younger generation seem to embrace it a lot more (bloody young hipsters giggle)

Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

dougal, would you recommend that Things and Ink? I had a look online to see where I can get it and it looks like £10 per issue, which is quite a lot more than I've ever paid for a magazine before, but if it's worth it...
EmmaBemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah I really liked it. It's quarterly so it's not a lot of money really.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Chat Slut

To add to dougal's questions I'm wondering what other groups you are questioning? The people on this forum are people who invest time and effort into finding the right artist, who travel miles to go to conventions, who spend more money than most people think is sane to get tattooed by a favourite artist. This is not how all people with tattoos feel about tattooing, in fact I'd venture to say it's not even how most people with tattoos feel about tattooing ( ). Honestly, think right now of how many of your friends at uni have a tattoo, now think about how many of them could name 5 tattoo artists outside of the studio where they got that one done.

What I'm saying (in my crazy long winded way) is that I wouldn't necessarily say that we are the most representative group for attitudes regarding tattoos as we are very much clustered at one end of the spectrum, even amongst the tattooed population.

Also, hi from another masters student at UoB
What masters programme is it that you're studying? I initially thought it might be Psychology (personal bias, it's what I study) but I see your supervisors are from politics and Italian studies? Are you more looking at the gender angle here?

Last edited by FelineWolf; 03-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.
FelineWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
We Are Not Worthy

Dougal - you ask some really interesting questions I think how tattooed the interviewer is will significantly affect the findings here, but I wonder if some of your q's are focused more on qualitative then quantitative research? possibly because of your scientific urge to control variables that you cannot in qualitative research..
Also... "I would hate for the results of this study to come across as [...] massively feminist" Why the anti feminist stance? I have become more feminist with two daughters and am just curious.
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Hello my love. There are not a lot of quantative results is can see comin out of this study this far. I am all for it.

I have no issue with feminism but I think the battles need to be the right ones. I think I am at the point in my life when my world view is based more on people than what gender they are. If that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong there sadly still needs to be feminist causes. And I understand what it is like to be a tattooed woman in a corporate environment. I have to cover up. Men seem to not have to.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
We Are Not Worthy

Dougal - you slurring your words there..? LoL!

Why does my daughter get lectures at uni on how to avoid being raped...? My son has never been told by anyone but me that it is wrong to drug and rape someone or that unconsciousness is compliance...
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote