Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #2111
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
You should just start a full back with Steve and join the club. That's what I really want to do haha
Ideally, that's what I want to do, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I've sent him a few other emails about my back but never got a reply. It wasn't until I sent him an email about getting a one day piece at a convention that he said he'd like to work with me but would rather do it at his shop. I'm hoping that means he was already thinking of doing my back.

I've heard him say that he reads his emails and identifies concepts he likes but usually doesn't respond until he's ready to take on a new project, so I'm hoping that's what's going on here. But that could be me totally reading into it.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #2112
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
Ideally, that's what I want to do, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I've sent him a few other emails about my back but never got a reply. It wasn't until I sent him an email about getting a one day piece at a convention that he said he'd like to work with me but would rather do it at his shop. I'm hoping that means he was already thinking of doing my back.

I've heard him say that he reads his emails and identifies concepts he likes but usually doesn't respond until he's ready to take on a new project, so I'm hoping that's what's going on here. But that could be me totally reading into it.
At the very least, you can open a dialogue about starting your back when you meet him. Lucky for you he's not too far so I'm sure you wouldn't mind going back for more work.

It might just be me, but I see that he really likes mythological imagery. I know I have a few myths I'm going to run by him when I get a chance

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #2113
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyo View Post
When I made my booking with Samohin, I made sure to get the dates confirmed ASAP. Didn't care about flights or hotels, I know that other stuff can be worked out after the dates are set.

And the best advice I can give to get an appointment with any of these world class athletes is to be articulate and persistent in what you are looking for. Sell yourself, sell your project!
Yeah I'll definitely keep at it. Thanks for the advice
lemmy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #2114
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karka View Post
Hmm not really. Persistence is the key I guess. I think it helped that my girlfriend is Ukrainian so I was able to communicate with him and his wife Anna in Russian.

I think also it comes down to luck, timing if your email, good quality reference photos if something he likes, and good reference photos of the area you want to get tattooed.
Actually I never included pics of the area I wanted tattooed, that is a great idea. I had asked him to do his style of Japanese and would give free reign but maybe I should include some more reference material too. I never though about the timing of the email either actually but I suppose it would make sense to send it right when they open so its at the top. Thanks a mill for the tips
Old 16-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #2115
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
Aside from outside help, imo the best way to get in with anyone is just be precise with your email and also persistence.

Clear photo of the spot you want tattooed, give them approximate measurements, let them know you're ready to put in a deposit ASAP, give them a decent amount of artistic freedom, let them know you're flying down specifically to get tattooed, good reference photos preferably of actual art instead of other tattoos, if you plan on doing back to back days with said artist and have previous experience with back to backs I think that can also help assure them that you won't tap out. That's about it really, I don't think i missed out anything.

Keep at it, sooner or later you'll get an appointment.

I now see how you guys are getting such good appointments, you really on the ball and leave nothing out. I'll be sure to include all of that from now on. Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Old 17-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #2116
Chat Virgin

Booked my full back piece with Jun Cha for 2021 last week. Long ways away, but this gives me time to save, plan, and lose a bit of weight before the project beings.
rooratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #2117
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooratty View Post
Booked my full back piece with Jun Cha for 2021 last week. Long ways away, but this gives me time to save, plan, and lose a bit of weight before the project beings.
2021!!! Holy smokes, I hate waiting a few months for an appointment hahaha

Cool though, something to look forward to!
Old 17-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #2118
Jedi Chat Master

Got Neil Dransfield next week at the Big North Tattoo Show for a little inside the foot jobbie. That’s gonna tickle
Old 17-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #2119
Chat Virgin

Gotta make a decision today to book with AD Pancho. He is guesting in New York, but I am on the West Coast, which whatever, not a huge deal... but his rates are insane. Just don't know when I will have another chance...
chino3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #2120
Need To Get Out More!

Send a message via AIM to rufio Send a message via MSN to rufio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooratty View Post
wow! my biggest fear would be forgetting the apointment
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote