Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #1141
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofcurcelli View Post
Jayman what's the Picoway 3 laser?
I'm assuming they are talking about the new 785nm handpiece that upgrades the system from 2 wavelengths (532nm and 1064nm) to 3. With the 785nm it can target blue and greens better. That's the latest upgrade to the system I have heard of.

Ask them what they mean, I'm curious!
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #1142
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
I'm assuming they are talking about the new 785nm handpiece that upgrades the system from 2 wavelengths (532nm and 1064nm) to 3. With the 785nm it can target blue and greens better. That's the latest upgrade to the system I have heard of.

Ask them what they mean, I'm curious!
Thanks man and will do.

What is the absolute best laser for black do you reckon?

And does it matter if the Picoway one does tattoo removal and other cosmetic stuff? Or does it need to be just a tattoo removal one?
Old 17-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #1143
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofcurcelli View Post
Thanks man and will do.

What is the absolute best laser for black do you reckon?

And does it matter if the Picoway one does tattoo removal and other cosmetic stuff? Or does it need to be just a tattoo removal one?
In my experience the Picoway (using the 1064nm wavelength) has been the best for black removal.

The Picoway can do fractional laser treatments with a separate hand piece, this in no way affects/lessens the ability of it to do tattoo removal. It's just a way for them to make more money by adding additional features to the platform.
Old 17-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #1144
Chat Slut

Quote:
In my experience the Picoway (using the 1064nm wavelength) has been the best for black removal.

The Picoway can do fractional laser treatments with a separate hand piece, this in no way affects/lessens the ability of it to do tattoo removal. It's just a way for them to make more money by adding additional features to the platform.
Awesome, thanks Jayman!

You know more about the lasers than the actual guys doing lasering haha
Old 17-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #1145
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Hey Jayman,

I am planning on getting my half sleeve removed. I am located in Toronto Canada. I am not sure where to start though. I have read through some of your posts and went to Realself.com for info and have no illusions with how long and expensive the process is.

I am planning on getting a coverup from Sandry Riffard and his tattoos are pretty dark so I may not need to fade the tattoo as much.

If the Picoway is best for black should I just bite the bullet and pay more money for those treatments? And use Picosure for the colors? Or should I start with a cheaper Medlite C6 like the ones from these Toronto clinics?:

https://www.tcclinic.com/
https://www.precisionlasertr.com/

What is a fair price for treatments? should I pay for unlimited treatments if they have them? Any tips when picking clinics and how not to get scammed?

Any advice would be appreciated!
-Phil

Photos of my arm:
https://imgur.com/a/HD38a

Last edited by dgen25; 17-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.
dgen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #1146
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgen25 View Post
Hey Jayman,

I am planning on getting my half sleeve removed. I am located in Toronto Canada. I am not sure where to start though. I have read through some of your posts and went to Realself.com for info and have no illusions with how long and expensive the process is.

I am planning on getting a coverup from Sandry Riffard and his tattoos are pretty dark so I may not need to fade the tattoo as much.

If the Picoway is best for black should I just bite the bullet and pay more money for those treatments? And use Picosure for the colors? Or should I start with a cheaper Medlite C6 like the ones from these Toronto clinics?:

https://www.tcclinic.com/
https://www.precisionlasertr.com/

What is a fair price for treatments? should I pay for unlimited treatments if they have them? Any tips when picking clinics and how not to get scammed?

Any advice would be appreciated!
-Phil

Photos of my arm:
https://imgur.com/a/HD38a
Hey Phil,

I've been to both those clinics in Toronto, don't bother with Precision, even if you find a deal on Groupon, they don't turn the energy up enough on their Medlite and you will end up wasting time there. The TCC was my go to place for Medlite treatments for a year until I found a reasonably priced Picoway place here in Ottawa. TCC cranks the fluence (energy) right up and you will get results on black ink there. If you do decide to use Precision for their Picosure on your blue inks, make sure you ask them to go to the highest level, and definitely look for Groupon deals.

The question becomes how much do you want to spend, and how long do you feel like going through the laser process? It's possible Picoway could knock a few treatments off, depending on how much you need to fade your current tattoo.

The problem you will encounter with TCC is that they won't be able to target the blues very well with their Medlite. Going to a Picoway clinic that has the 785nm handpiece will be able to treat the tattoo effectively all in one go.

Black looks your main priority, hitting the yellow probably won't be that effective and there is very little red. The blues will probably need a 785nm or 694nm laser at some point. But for the most part 1064nm will be the go to wavelength for your treatments.

I hate getting laser so much that if I could do it all over again I would bite the bullet and go with the more expensive Picoway right off the bat. However if you are on a budget and time isn't a big factor, using the Medlite (blacks,reds and yellows) for the first 3-5 sessions and then finishing it off with the Picoway (blacks, reds, yellows and blues) might save you a bunch of cash.

What are the price like for Picoway in TO right now?

ps. Riffard is so sick, a darker piece from him wouldn't require all that much fading!
Old 17-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #1147
Chat Virgin

Quote:

The question becomes how much do you want to spend, and how long do you feel like going through the laser process? It's possible Picoway could knock a few treatments off, depending on how much you need to fade your current tattoo.

The problem you will encounter with TCC is that they won't be able to target the blues very well with their Medlite. Going to a Picoway clinic that has the 785nm handpiece will be able to treat the tattoo effectively all in one go.

Black looks your main priority, hitting the yellow probably won't be that effective and there is very little red. The blues will probably need a 785nm or 694nm laser at some point. But for the most part 1064nm will be the go to wavelength for your treatments.

I hate getting laser so much that if I could do it all over again I would bite the bullet and go with the more expensive Picoway right off the bat. However if you are on a budget and time isn't a big factor, using the Medlite (blacks,reds and yellows) for the first 3-5 sessions and then finishing it off with the Picoway (blacks, reds, yellows and blues) might save you a bunch of cash.

What are the price like for Picoway in TO right now?

ps. Riffard is so sick, a darker piece from him wouldn't require all that much fading!
Thank you for the quick reply! I am probably willing to spend ~2K-3K on the outer portion of my arm alone. If I can get a decent enough fade by mid-late next year(12-18 months) that would be good enough for me. So the potential route you suggested - Medlite first than Picoway for the remainder - is something I will probably opt for.

I just booked in a consult for TCC next week. I don't know how much the Picoway costs here in TO, but I booked a consult 2 weeks from now with a place in Mississauga called The Plastic Surgery Clinic (only one that came back from a Google search). When I get the pricing i'll let you know. They did say over the phone the pricing structure works like this: 2nd session 10% off 1st, 3rd session 10% off 2nd etc.

I don't even hate/regret my current tattoo - its held up well for 8 years. But Riffard's work is just too sweet
Old 17-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #1148
Chat Virgin

Hi all,

I thought I'd add some photos to help people understand different perspectives of people currently going through laser treatment. The first photos are the tattoos in all their glory. I've hated them since I had them done (22 years ago) and my primary aim is to get the faded areas covered with neo Japanese work by a reputable artist.

After much deliberation I opted to go with Wayne at the Reset Room in London. I wanted to go for the best machine that I could afford and even though it was expensive, I wanted to give it the best go possible. So I paid for 5 x sessions on each tattoo upfront as I didn't want to be tempted to sack it off when the going got

I reckon I'm about 18 months into it so far and I've now had 3 sessions on each tattoo. The other photos are how the tattoos look now and you'll see that there are some pretty good results, especially for the chest. I'm not having any other sessions done on the chest and Wayne has kindly allowed me to transfer my remaining sessions to the arms if I need. The large black panther was actually a cover up of an equally naff skull so it's particularly stubborn and I think it'll take a long time to get it to a point where it can be covered.

In terms of pain and discomfort, I won't lie…. It hurts like hell. The worst part by far is the healing process. My skins blisters up even on the lowest setting! My skin swells up and my arms ache like hell. Blisters always seem to grow so big that they burst and then leak for around 4 or 5 days constantly. I know this isn't nice…. But this is the reality of laser treatment for some people. Once it stops blistering, we move onto the deep scabs, the unbearable itching and flaky skin. All I'm all, each session takes around 2 weeks before the skins looks like it did before the session.

My 4th session on the tribal panther is next Wednesday….. can't wait

Link to photos

https://imgur.com/a/dH6yy
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #1149
Chat Virgin

Quote:

If you do decide to use Precision for their Picosure on your blue inks, make sure you ask them to go to the highest level, and definitely look for Groupon deals.
Sorry if these questions were answered somewhere in this thread/forum but:

1) What do you mean by 'highest level' - is that wavelength i.e. 1064nm or something else?

2) If I ask them to go to the highest level on the first treatment would that potentially increase the risk of permantely damaging the skin?

3) How do you ensure the clinic is using the maximum/most effective/safest energy level? Do you just tell them and trust they will do it? My concern is I have read from reviews in places [such as Precision] where they may deliberately use a lower energy/fluence level to extend treatments. Or conversely, using too high of an energy level and getting scarred.

Last edited by dgen25; 18-03-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 18-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #1150
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgen25 View Post
Sorry if these questions were answered somewhere in this thread/forum but:

1) What do you mean by 'highest level' - is that wavelength i.e. 1064nm or something else?

2) If I ask them to go to the highest level on the first treatment would that potentially increase the risk of permantely damaging the skin?

3) How do you ensure the clinic is using the maximum/most effective/safest energy level? Do you just tell them and trust they will do it? My concern is I have read from reviews in places [such as Precision] where they may deliberately use a lower energy/fluence level to extend treatments. Or conversely, using too high of an energy level and getting scarred.
Highest level = highest fluence (J/cm2), ie energy level. Precison will never take the machine to the max, it's in their policies I think, but ask them to go as high as they possibly can. The Picosure won't damage your skin, it's a fairly gentle laser.

Clinics will and should ramp up the energy levels as you progress through the removal process, I just found that Precision started and finished at levels that did absolutely nothing, it felt like a scam to me. TCC went high right off the bat (mind you I had some fading already at that point so they would probably be ore cautious on an unfaded one), and yes it does look like a mess after it's done, but if you don't peel away any scabs and heal it properly, you won't scar.

Basically you're first session will be them finding an energy level that creates the frosting effect and then every other session after that should be looking to push higher without causing undue damage to the skin. I never got frosting at Precision. TCC did it every time. But everyone is different, you may get good results at a lower level than I did, I seem to need it ramped right up.

You ultimately have to trust the people doing the treatment. Reading reviews is helpful. I can say from my experience that the TCC will give you better results than Precision.