Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Advice for long tattoo sessions?

I'm having a 6 possibly 8 hour tattoo session next month and while i have 4 small tattoos this is going to be my first big one that will fill up my entire front thigh.
I'm not worried about the pain as such but more worried about not being able to sit for too long (i still dont know how many hours is my limit) and i feel like if i leave after a few hours and go back for sessions ill be messing my artist around and i imagine it would be easier for him to be able to finish of the whole piece rather than in sessions.
so anybody got any tips on how to distract yourself? what did you do when you got a big piece?
levi morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Chat Virgin

my whole thigh took 12 hours i think. but mine has a lot of color.
we did a 2 hour session (lines), 8 hour session (color, shading, block in), and another 2 hour session (added a bit more, touch up, etc)

my artist let me lay on my side and switch up positions a little because it was a long session, we only had like two 15 minute breaks. my artist had a firm hold on me and it sounds weird but the pressure made me relax (plus you get so tired from trying to fight the pain). I fell asleep half way through.

my tip: don't drink coffee or caffeine. it makes me more aware and sensitive. make sure your phone/ipod/whatever is 100% battery. get comfortable.

also if possible take a cab.
after my 8hr session i had to drive 3 hours home, and ended up stopping halfway at a gas station and took some Advil and slept for a good 5 hours in my car. the seatbelt dug right into my tattoo and sitting up was very uncomfortable, much less moving my feet/legs for gas / brake.
but i could just be a pussy. :P

Last edited by omgtain; 14-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.
omgtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

I honestly and genuinely do not know how I get through it. I've done a couple of 8+ hour sittings and I've not done anything in particular, mostly just sit and stare into space wondering when the next break is.
Zenpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenpower View Post
I honestly and genuinely do not know how I get through it. I've done a couple of 8+ hour sittings and I've not done anything in particular, mostly just sit and stare into space wondering when the next break is.
This is me exactly.
Sometimes I chat a bit or there's often a film on (that I can't hear) but basically yeah, just sit and wait for it to end.
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
Need To Get Out More!

I did a couple 8+ hour sessions on my sleeve and to be honest the time flew by for me. Music playing in the background and a bit of conversation took my mind right off the pain side of things.

make sure you have a decent meal before the tattoo and some snacks through out the sessions, it helped me

I've got back to back 8+ hours on my ribs to go next year so i'll see how my pain threshold stand up against that i'll be taking a few tv series to go through as well.
Sp33dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Chat Slut

Definitely eat something, plenty of water, music, a bit of conversation, and a few breaks. All the advice on here is absolutely bang on. Imo things get rough in and around the 5 hour mark when the skin/flesh is pretty beat up and it's hard going. I have swore blind leaving a tattooists that I'm done and I'm leaving my tattoo half completed, but off course I'm back in 4 weeks later going through it all again!!
big c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Definitely don't do what I did today and turn up with a massive hangover.
Especially if your artist is going over your spine, coccyx and ribs..... 😩
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #8
Chat Slut

Advice already given seems pretty bob on to be honest. Try to have a hearty breakfast before starting, take some sugary snacks, stay hydrated and get comfy with as many distractions as you can (phone/tablet, books, music etc). I need to follow my own advice more often, I normally go with nothing but a bottle of water or squash and my phone.
Old 15-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

I've sat for a lot of 8-10 hour sessions and i usually just zone out to my headphones while just meditating or thinking about stuff to distract myself. make sure you have sugary stuff and water with you during your session and make sure you eat well before or during your session.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

iu was in the same boat as the topic starter a month or so ago

only ever had a maximum sitting of 3 hours and went for a 6 hour session

the pain really does kick in at around 5 hours, the last hour was virtually unbearable

just sit it out