Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Mumbler

Had my very first tattoo yesterday and it took about 9 hours. The inside of my left arm and overall the pain was ok. The thing that hurt the most was the inside of my elbow. Especially applying the whites, dear God .

Didn't have any music with me to distract me, just looked at the people passing by and trying to think of other things. Make sure to bring a couple of bottles of coke and some candy bars.
Bjorn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn121 View Post
Had my very first tattoo yesterday and it took about 9 hours. The inside of my left arm and overall the pain was ok. The thing that hurt the most was the inside of my elbow. Especially applying the whites, dear God .

Didn't have any music with me to distract me, just looked at the people passing by and trying to think of other things. Make sure to bring a couple of bottles of coke and some candy bars.
Post the pics up Bjorn
big c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #13
Jedi Chat Master

I've done a couple 8 hours sessions and an 11.5 hours session

Be hydrated . Don't just drink water the morning of, no actually be hydrated . Start drinking water 5 days or so before hand and really build up your water levels to be completely hydrated (your pissue is clear). Don't over do it. Im not saying go crazy like your trying to pass a drug test. Just make sure your drinking water more than just the day of

Will help drastically .

And everyone hit the mark. Eat well I suggest day before through day after. Eating well and definetely if your going for 8+ hours , I know everyone says bring something sugary and I would reccomend that

But bring a real meal with you too. A sandwich maybe some chocolate milk..

My go to is apple sauce (tons of it) ( I get a big one and the little hand ones so I can open them and eat them with one hand while getting tattooed)

And sticks of real cheese and even beef jerky is good

The applesauce enters the body very quickly and it's good for you so I eat that instead of a lot of candy.

And cheese is good for you and high calorie and full of good stuff same with chocolate milk.

I haven't brought headphones but I keep meaning to. And I'd reccomend . But otherwise conversation and relaxing is the way to go.

If your really tense and anticipating it will hurt way more.

My 11.5 hours session was just plain brutal from 4+ hours , it was on my inner arm/bicep and it's a sensetive spot for me and just man , I didn't follow my own rules of hydration and food and it was just bad bad bad the whole way through.

But I followed my rules other times and the 8 hours went by easily , one was a first tattoo so I was too excited for it to hurt my last one I flew across the country, so there was no option but get through the session, but josh had fairy hand and it was a breeze

Good luck

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
Chat Slut

I really can't focus on anything while getting tattooed so I just go on add mode.

1. drink days before to soak body with water
2. soak tattoo spot with lotion a week before session
3. bring and eat protein bars every two hours during session
4. bring absinthe and start drinking around the six hour mark
5. bring bactine to use before whites are applied
6. check in hotel after.. don't drive.
Old 15-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjuringgogue View Post
I really can't focus on anything while getting tattooed so I just go on add mode.

1. drink days before to soak body with water
2. soak tattoo spot with lotion a week before session
6. check in hotel after.. don't drive.
THIS THIS THIS

i made the mistake of driving after my last session, and it was a really bad experience

my artist actualloy said to me, do not drive without eating first, i went to get something to eat...it didnt matter

i had to have a break and i was only driving 3 hours
Old 16-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by big c View Post
Post the pics up Bjorn
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...114_214304.jpg (apologies for the thread hijack)
Bjorn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
Chat Slut

All good advice so far.
Eating, sleeping and hydration should all be no brainers.

As for breaks during the session, i try not to take any, but your artist may well want to stretch their legs, so in that case I try to keep them as short as possible.
I've done one long session where we stopped for a luchbreak of around 30 - 40 minutes. I guess the body relaxes, as getting back into it after the break was absolutely brutal. Hated it. So, lesson learned, and now i dont take breaks unless the artist needs to.

I like to chat. There may be other artists working and other customers. If it's one of those open plan studios with a few people working at the same time, the banter can be good fun. Certainly helps to pass the time.

Best advice i ever got was don't look at the clock too much. If you focus on the time, it will drag.......
leithswanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #18
Jedi Chat Master

I find getting pissed the night before and waking up an hour before the session helps, then eat nothing but a roast half way through, no liquids please and a quick blast on the crack pipe and you will be fine.
Old 16-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Jedi Chat Master

One thing I do that I don't think has been covered in this thread yet is I start shaving the area that I'm getting tattooed a couple weeks prior. And obviously moisturize it as well. That way you don't end up with razor bumps on the day of the appointment.

All the artists that have tattooed me are always pleasantly surprised when they realize they don't need to shave any hair off me.
inkcollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
Jedi Chat Master

I have a full day scheduled tomorrow on my shin so I'm starting to mentally prepare.

Food, hydration, and being well rested (not hungover) have already been mentioned. The rest is mental. I just remind myself that it is temporary discomfort and meditate. Toward the end of a a full day I"m always sure I'll never do it again. Within an hour of completion I'm already planning my next piece.

It's all mental. Pain don't hurt.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote