Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default emailing a tattooist

Hi guys, I have finally decided on the tattooist I would like to do my leg and was just checking with you about the email I am sending as I havent really done this before.

here is the email I am planning to send

'Hi,

I am just inquiring about getting a leg sleeve by matt hart. I would like it to contain a foo dog (from top of outer thigh to knee/calf), dragon (inner lower leg to mid/upper thigh if room for that big), chrysanthemum and water waves as background. I have attached some reference images of the things I like (the images titles/names should say what it is I like about them).

What is matts waiting list like?
what is the day rate/hourly rate that he charges?

and how do I book in with him?

I can pop in to the shop if that would make things easier, just need a days notice, as I live in the centre of leeds so not far away.

Thanks

Max'

Is what I am going to say alright?
is it too much description? (that sounds like a silly question haha)

Most of the reference I am attaching is his work anyway (I will be attaching 4/5 images)
Thanks for the advice

Last edited by qertyuiop; 02-01-2016 at 01:08 AM.
qertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Let him worry about the placement, he will know how to make things flow better than you. Waiting list, rates etc you can find all of that out by simply emailing him.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Its okay ... some of it portrays , to me at least, a bit scattered and some is not needed.

Replace some parts more along the lines of ....

Instead of asking what his waiting list is like? In that manner

I'd say

I'm interesting in starting a fairly large project with Matt H.

I'm looking to book multiple sessions for a leg sleeve if he is interested in the project. I'm a huge fan of matts work and composition. ( I always throw a little compliment In there)

I'm interested in a foo dog on the upper portion with a dragon on the lower leg. Also, I would like waves and chrysanthemums as the background. ****(The way you said it almost implies he doesn't know what parts of the body make up a leg, well came off to me that way I could be wrong)

I have attached several pictures of matts work that I like , along with a few other pictures for reference. But I trust matts freedom of design otherwise.

I would also like to know matts hourly/daily rate so I can have an idea what to budget.

If Matt is interested in this project , I'm financially able to book as many sessions into the future as Matt Is willing and able to at this time, to start the leg. Thanks again. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you , thanks!
Sincerely,
Me

Something along those lines...

(Something simple and formal I wouldn't say its exactly how id say it....I just tried to give an example. My case would be personal to me so I can't say exactly how I'd email Matt for that project . Or any artist based on my budget, the project, travel distance , freedom of design, and I tend to name drop

Anyway, you will need to book likely 4 to 6+ sessions depending how fast he is and how he does his booking so you'll need to find a way to convey your message .

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
Let him worry about the placement, he will know how to make things flow better than you. Waiting list, rates etc you can find all of that out by simply emailing him.

This

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Chatter Box

I would just call and set a consultation in person, or call then send a follow up email.

What I would do.
R3aL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3aL View Post
I would just call and set a consultation in person, or call then send a follow up email.

What I would do.

Now that I think about it .. your right . Dude said your not far away ... Stop by the shop and meet him if you can

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I think the email is fine, covers everything someone might want to know from an initial email. There's no point splitting hairs: it's only an email not a legal letter. But as others have said, since you're nearby it's best to drop in.
EmmaBemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

It's fine dude, everyone words things differently (I don't really give much detail or reference pics until the second email after they've replied to say they're interested) but you can tell by your email that you're serious and not a time waster.

Good luck and superb choice of artist! You've got an array of talent in Leeds, too!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Enquire
Zenpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Keep it short as possible.

Personally I never ask rates. I want their work so I don't care. I have a rough idea of various artists rates any how's but again that only applies to my situation.