Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #10601
Chat Slut

What are their rates at home? For me it's more about the location. You spend 20+ hours traveling one way so you lose ~3 days of work. So you end up wanting to make it into a vacation because if you're just going for the tattoo itself it'd have to be 3+ days and the rate would have to be something nuts like half off for it to be worth it. It's much easier to just pay the extra money when they're near you.
nisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #10602
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah thatís why I said if youíre keen to go there. Itís not worth flying to NZ just for the tattoo but if youíve ever wanted to go and see the hobbits and drink a shit load of New Zealand wine it makes sense. Rates just went up a little but theyíre still a very reasonable £780 a day. So yes, less than half and change.
Old 18-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #10603
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisser View Post
What are their rates at home? For me it's more about the location. You spend 20+ hours traveling one way so you lose ~3 days of work. So you end up wanting to make it into a vacation because if you're just going for the tattoo itself it'd have to be 3+ days and the rate would have to be something nuts like half off for it to be worth it. It's much easier to just pay the extra money when they're near you.
Take sick time off work for three days, it's pretty accurate as you'll feel like shit for that week anyways. Churn some travel reward credit cards for a year and fly free on points. Problem solved
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #10604
Chat Slut

I'm self-employed
But if it is 800 pounds then it may be worth going!
Old 18-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #10605
Jedi Chat Master

When you're old (trust me on this one) you'll wish you spent the money to go get tattooed in New Zealand rather than spending a premium to get the same tattoo locally.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #10606
Jedi Chat Master

Their shop is in Dairy Flat, it’s mostly farmland but it’s easy to get to as it’s on the main road. It’s about 45 minutes drive out of central Auckland depending on the traffic. They used to be based further up the coast in Orewa which is a beautiful town with a long strip of beach.

They’re very open and honest about their rates on the road. Traveling out of NZ is expensive, it’s on the other side of the world and if you’re away from friends and family for a while you’ll want to do more than break even.
Old 19-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #10607
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
When you're old (trust me on this one) you'll wish you spent the money to go get tattooed in New Zealand rather than spending a premium to get the same tattoo locally.
For me, 3 days of traveling (i.e. not working) is about 1.5-2 days of tattoo time at their traveling day rate.
Old 19-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #10608
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
True but NZ is a minimum 4 week trip and requires planning, whereas going for a local convention at short notice is much easier.
JPL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #10609
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL75 View Post
True but NZ is a minimum 4 week trip and requires planning, whereas going for a local convention at short notice is much easier.
yeah, but, it's New Zealand!!
- what better excuse for a holiday than a tattoo??!

(also one could just go for 2 weeks no?)
brother10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #10610
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother10 View Post
yeah, but, it's New Zealand!!
- what better excuse for a holiday than a tattoo??!

(also one could just go for 2 weeks no?)
I would love to go back to New Zealand,itís amazing but itís just not practical at the moment.

I sent a very speculative email to Ben never expecting a reply as Iím sure he got hundreds of them. I hadnít planned on getting a tattoo at the convention but Ben seemed to like my vague idea and the opportunity to get work from Ben isnít something I could pass up.
JPL75 is offline   Reply With Quote