Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default Elliott Wells v Chris Crooks - Full Back Piece

Hi All,

I am considering either Elliott Wells or Chris Crooks to do a full back piece for me.

Obviously these are both amazing artists and in terms of UK & Ireland, probably the two best Japanese-style artists around in my opinion. I'm not necessarily asking who do you think is better because it's completely subjective and I love both equally in their own way. It would be like asking which one of your children do you love more

My question is, what are people's experiences with both that might help me decide which one to pursue.

Thanks

Patrick
lwlssptrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Chat Slut

If you truly cannot put a cigarette paper between them in terms of which style you prefer, then I would say I'd base my decision on which one is more convenient.

For a one shot-piece you can pretty much go anywhere in the world and justify it. For a backpiece you are talking a serious commitment: multiple sessions that will go on for months and possibly even years. If one artist was half an hour's drive away and the other involved a train, followed by a flight or ferry, followed by a a cab and a hotel room for the night before doing the same journey back the next day then, all other things being equal, I'd definitely be leaning towards option #1.

I had eight sessions on my sleeve at a studio that was a two and a half hour train ride followed by a tube ride away from me, so for each session I was leaving home at the crack of dawn and not getting back until bedtime. The travelling also added a considerable amount to the overall cost of the tattoo - like a couple of hundred pounds a session. Of course, it was all worth it in the end; but the whole thing would have been so much easier had my artist been just down the road!

Last edited by TheRevJimJones; 25-07-2017 at 08:29 AM.
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

That is a good point and one I should have mentioned in my original post. I am based in Ireland, 2.5 hours drive from Belfast. However, I am also only an hour flight away from Elliott. Although, Chris would be handier and easier to take advantage of times when he had cancellations.

I know how much Chris charges and what to expect regarding the amount of sessions he takes to do a full colour back piece.

I am in the dark regarding Elliott though, would appreciate it if someone could let me know regarding rates and estimate time/sessions for a full colour back piece (via private message if you want)
Old 25-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

big fan of Elliott myself

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrobbingSausage View Post
big fan of Elliott myself
He is absolutely amazing, have you been tattooed by him?
Old 25-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlssptrck View Post
That is a good point and one I should have mentioned in my original post. I am based in Ireland, 2.5 hours drive from Belfast. However, I am also only an hour flight away from Elliott. Although, Chris would be handier and easier to take advantage of times when he had cancellations.

I know how much Chris charges and what to expect regarding the amount of sessions he takes to do a full colour back piece.

I am in the dark regarding Elliott though, would appreciate it if someone could let me know regarding rates and estimate time/sessions for a full colour back piece (via private message if you want)
If you genuinely can't choose between two artists, and one is half a tank of petrol away and the other requires a flight (plus, what, car parking at the airport, a taxi to the studio, an overnight stay in Sunderland, etc, etc, etc) then I would always go with the nearer one. You're going to need, what, ten or twelve sessions? Based on my experience one or two of those are going to need rescheduling for reasons beyond your control, so the chances are you'll lose the cost of your flights for them too. I think by session #6 the novelty will have totally worn off....

That said, if you favour Elliott over Chris in any way then I'd say make the extra effort and go for him, because otherwise you'll always regret it!
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJimJones View Post
If you genuinely can't choose between two artists, and one is half a tank of petrol away and the other requires a flight (plus, what, car parking at the airport, a taxi to the studio, an overnight stay in Sunderland, etc, etc, etc) then I would always go with the nearer one. You're going to need, what, ten or twelve sessions? Based on my experience one or two of those are going to need rescheduling for reasons beyond your control, so the chances are you'll lose the cost of your flights for them too. I think by session #6 the novelty will have totally worn off....

That said, if you favour Elliott over Chris in any way then I'd say make the extra effort and go for him, because otherwise you'll always regret it!
Maybe I should ask them to do a collab
Old 25-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlssptrck View Post

Not sure what Chris Crooks is charging now but I think Elliott is around half the price. If that is a consideration for you.
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

elliot is incredibly cheap for an artist of his calibre. m8 of mine just got a piece from him. If im not wrong i think he told me it was 80p/hr or something along those lines.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
elliot is incredibly cheap for an artist of his calibre. m8 of mine just got a piece from him. If im not wrong i think he told me it was 80p/hr or something along those lines.
Wow, that is interesting. Cost is not hugely important (within reason) but if Elliott is half the price then that would be a major factor. Thanks for letting me know.