LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default Jeff Gogue Surrender Video

Enjoyed this: https://vimeo.com/251512449
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Rambler

That was really interesting. Shige seemed like kind of a dick to me though. I honestly much prefer Jeff Gogues work to his and if I had to spend 101 hours getting my back done I would prefer to get it done by someone nice than someone who seems waay too self important. The whole making it painful on purpose and being pissed that he tapped out on one of the sessions just seemed a bit over the top to me. Also saying no at first etc, just seemed so pretentious.
lemmy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Shige is the exact opposite of a dick.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
Rambler

Sorry I'm not trying to be offensive. I saw a member here's sleeve done by him recently and it was amazing. But making people travel all the way to japan just to get a consultation and then asking them questions non stop but being unable to answer any himself. I also struggle to understand why he makes it purposely painful. He even said don't whimper in front of Robert Hernandez..... If Robert was tattooing him there would be no whimpering because he is very compassionate and light handed and also wouldn't make anyone feel like shit if they needed a break.
lemmy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Itís just how he is, how a lot of those artists are. In Japan tattoos are not a frivolous fashion accessory, itís a long, serious process that requires dedication from both sides. Many people over there believe tattoos bring shame and disgrace upon your family. That desecrating your body with tattoos is hugely disrespectful to your mother and father. Itís a big deal and heís not going to tattoo anything on you unless he thinks your heartís really in it. With the Hernandez comment, I took that as Shige trying to help him. Donít appear weak in front someone you respect, donít make any noise when Robertís here.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy100 View Post
Sorry I'm not trying to be offensive. I saw a member here's sleeve done by him recently and it was amazing. But making people travel all the way to japan just to get a consultation and then asking them questions non stop but being unable to answer any himself. I also struggle to understand why he makes it purposely painful. He even said don't whimper in front of Robert Hernandez..... If Robert was tattooing him there would be no whimpering because he is very compassionate and light handed and also wouldn't make anyone feel like shit if they needed a break.
He is a very reserved and quiet person and also gets very into his work once he begins, I get how in a 30 minute video that may come across in a negative light, but as TS said he couldn't be further from a dick in real life. In my experience Shige has been nothing short of kind, gracious and above all very humble.

I also fail to see at any point in that video, or during my time with him, an intention to make the tattooing more painful than necessary. I've never heard someone say sorry so much, outside of Canada that is

Having to meet him before getting an appointment is different for sure, I was taken aback by it, but I do get it, he wants to strike up a relationship with his client, get to know them, test their resolve to get such a large piece. That approach definitely isn't going to work for a lot of people and I'm sure it rubs some the wrong way. But, like Jeff, I've totally fallen in love with Japan, the people, the mindset, and I can't wait to go back and start another project.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Insightful video, rare to see all that work in such detail, found it fascinating to hear about the process from Gogue's view.
SenorChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
I've totally fallen in love with Japan, the people, the mindset, and I can't wait to go back and start another project.
I think I'm gonna go back to Japan later this year man. I need another dose.

Apprentice emoji designer.
DogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoots View Post
I think I'm gonna go back to Japan later this year man. I need another dose.
YES!! It's good for the soul. You should probably wait till next April though, for the cherry blossom's...plus I need someone to hang out with
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
YES!! It's good for the soul. You should probably wait till next April though, for the cherry blossom's...plus I need someone to hang out with
Imagine if we could coordinate. That is actually possible man.
I get to see the Tokyo bunch when they come to dj in berlin soon too, so I could hold off till next year.

Apprentice emoji designer.
DogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote