Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Question Advice please - tattoo regret?

Hi, this might be a bit of a strange one but Iíd really appreciate some advice!

At the start of the year I posted about getting a tattoo that I wasnít happy with. It was quite a big piece on my sternum and was originally pretty unsymmetrical. I cried A LOT about it and had lots of regret, which is the first time Iíve ever experienced that. The artist fixed it up and it looks much better now - I still donít think itís symmetrical but when I point it out to other people they say they wouldnít have noticed unless I did.

I made peace with it for a while and accepted it for what it is - not a bad tattoo but not my favourite. However, over the last few weeks that anxiety/regret feeling has crept in again, expect this time Iíve suddenly started feeling that way about all of my tattoos which Iíve always loved. This one was probably tattoo number 25 or so so tattoos have been a big part of my life for the last 10 years and Iíve always been really proud of them, but now Iím starting to wish I had my old body back. I e never felt like this before and itís only started since I got this one that I didnít really like.

Iíve had a tattoo since which I love and is really meaningful to me, and that did briefly break the feeling but itís quickly returned. I feel really upset that having this one bad experience has made me feel this way about my body and about something I have loved for many years.

I feel like this is a really strange reaction and just wondered if anyone else has ever felt like this and how you got past it? And even if you havenít, any advice on how to move on from this would be much appreciated.

This is the tattoo in question that triggered it all off - hopefully the link works.

Thanks everyone!

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/...d=500921448970
catsandtatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Jyn
Chat Slut

Your link doesnít work
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Ah man, thanks for saying! Iím doing it on my phone so might not be working properly, Iíve tried to upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice please - tattoo regret?-c8289435-85ce-44e4-b5e5-3b4f60e115ca.jpeg  
Old 28-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Jyn
Chat Slut

I like it!

I have a lot of ink, and there are things that I think could be better, but I had a lightbulb moment some time ago.
Tattoos are art - no art is perfect. Flaws are apart of the process. If tattoos were all perfect, nothing would be unique. Not to mention, the skin is always changing, so 10 years from now it may look different than it does today. Thatís part of the art, in my opinion.
Old 28-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Thank you, that does reassure me. I think another reason I don’t like t now is that I associate it with all those feelings of being so upset and anxious. I know logically it’s not a terrible tattoo (it’s not the best but definitely not the worst) but it’s affected me so much more than it should! Thank you for helping though you have made me feel a little better!
Old 28-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Jyn
Chat Slut

You should see my first tattoo itís awful. But I appreciate it because itís what led me to getting more tattoos, and quality tattoos.

I donít see anything wrong with yours
Old 28-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Chat Slut

Oh man, I am with you on anxiety from misallignment. Here's the link to my chest tat (https://www.instagram.com/p/BUYDzNBh...=177yrccbxyrzr), go read the comments and see the dude who immediately noticed it is off by a few degrees. This way my first tattoo and reading that comment was like pure poision; I couldn't stop fixating on that aspect of it. But then I realized, my body isn't symmetrical. My shoulders aren't perfectly even and there's so much more that no one, including myself, notices on the day to day. I would not stress this because the only person who gets to inspect your tattoos with a magnifying glass is yourself. You might notice small imperfections, but no one else will.

And like Jyn said, this is art. Art that is not on a flat surface. It will have minor imperfections, but don't stress it and focus on the positives that it brings to your body's aesthetics. In time I got over it and I love my chest now, I would go as far as to say it's one of the better/best tattoos that my artist has put out, but that's only after growing to appreciate it. Just give it time, time heals all.

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood

Last edited by Sushi; 28-07-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typed this on mobile, so many bad autocorrects
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:07 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Oh man, I am with you on anxiety from misallignment. Here's the link to my chest tat (https://www.instagram.com/p/BUYDzNBh...=177yrccbxyrzr), go read the comments and see the dude who immediately noticed it is off by a few degrees. This way my first tattoo and reading that comment was like pure poision; I couldn't stop fixating on that aspect of it. But then I realized, my body isn't symmetrical. My shoulders aren't perfectly even and there's so much more that no one, including myself, notices on the day to day. I would not stress this because the only person who gets to inspect your tattoos with a magnifying glass is yourself. You might notice small imperfections, but no one else will.

And like Jyn said, this is art. Art that is not on a flat surface. It will have minor imperfections, but don't stress it and focus on the positives that it brings to your body's aesthetics. In time I got over it and I love my chest now, I would go as far as to say it's one of the better/best tattoos that my artist has put out, but that's only after growing to appreciate it. Just give it time, time heals all.
Great piece, I actually don't think it is off by any degrees, as you say your left shoulder and clavicle is slighter higher than your right, and I think your tattoo is done to sit within that. If the tattoo was put square on then it would look thrown off given your shoulder difference.

Btw we all have wonkey bodies, it's mostly legs with one being longer than the other!
Old 29-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Chatter Box

It looks good to me. I wood focus on something else like health, family, career, etc. The important stuff. These are just tattoos.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

I have to agree with everyone else, that looks like a very well applied good looking tattoo. My bet is that in a years time you will have forgotten all about this anxiety and learned to love your new addition(s)!
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote