Old 06-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Rambler

Default Tattoo scabing

Does anyone know why tattoo scabs up? I have pieces that heal smoothly and have pieces that scab up during the healing process. Once the scabs fall off, it leaves a white mark. I'm trying to prevent this for tattoos down the road.
Nothing101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Mumbler

I’m guessing it’s drying out and that makes it scab like a cut would, so keep it creamed up / moist and it won’t scab that’s always worked for me. ��
24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Sometimes it's your artist going too hard, sometimes it's your skin. Sometimes it's aftercare.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrobbingSausage View Post
Sometimes it's your artist going too hard, sometimes it's your skin. Sometimes it's aftercare.
Right, any of this, or a combination of the three.

One of the benefits of using saniderm is that it reduces the occurrences of scabs. I'm sure it doesn't eliminate the possibility completely but I haven't had a single scab when I use it.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood

Last edited by DGreenwood; 06-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrobbingSausage View Post
Exactly..
The aftercare error in my opinion comes from people not washing the tattoo often. When it's healing, it's oozing and it's the ooze that sticks, dries out and forms a scab.
Before tagaderm/saniderm/secondskin I would wash the tattoo every 2-4 hours and reapply lotion, to get rid of the accumulated ooze.
nisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Mumbler

So am I back in times still using bapanthen and wrapping with cling film changing a few times a day with washes between?
24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Jyn
Chat Slut

I never had a scab form until I got my stomach done. It was my most painful experience and I probably should have tapped out, which probably equated to my skin taking too much trauma and scabbing. It was pretty bad.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Rambler

I was thinking the reason why it was b/c the tattoo wasn't breathable. The first piece i think it scab up was my fault for not wearing loose clothing, it swell up pretty bad. My other piece the artist recommend to leave the saniderm for a day but it was oozing a lot, I remember the end of the day i have a spot on my short that was soaked. My other pieces it healed perfectly fine, didn't use saniderm or wore tight clothing.
Nothing101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
Need To Get Out More!

My last tattoo I only washed it twice a day (once while in the shower), didn't wrap and only used bep on about the third or forth day.No scabs.Only place I lost a bit of ink was where I got a small spot.Best heal I've had.
keithski122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

I think the type of tattoo you're getting matters too. If you are getting black and grey realism, without a lot of lines or saturation, just a lot of shading, there's a better chance you won't scab. Lines, areas of heavy saturation, or areas with a lot of detail where the artist spent a lot of time are far more likely to scab in my experience.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote