Old 20-09-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default Musashi by Steve Moore

I used to have a pretty ordinary looking back, similar to other backs you might see at the beach or in the men’s locker room at the gym. But now my back looks like this:

You’re probably looking at that love handle on the left side of the image and wondering how I’d know what the locker room looks like at the gym. I assure you that what you are seeing there is (mostly?) swelling and pooling fluid from the sheer torture that area took the day before while Steve was putting in that black. That might have been my most painful hour yet. He laughed out loud the next day when he saw the bruise wrapping around the front. I was confused because I hadn't even noticed it until he pointed it out. I was like "What bruise?", and he just laughed harder.

Edit: Oops, I forgot, Steve has a lot more pictures on his instagram here (link) and a video here (link).

Instagram: @greeniedavewood

Last edited by DGreenwood; 22-09-2018 at 07:42 PM.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
Chat Virgin

Holy fuck. The movement in this is insane. Congratulations dude
wiitle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:42 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Thanks man! The movement was a key emphasis in the concept obviously. Steve and I talked about this a ton, and looked at lots of reference. But to boil it down as simple as possible: It is inspired by Japanese ink paintings (sumi-e) where there is a lot of detail at the focal points, but the image becomes more abstract and loose as you move away from the focal points, and the brush strokes morph into abstract motion and flow. Also, ample use of negative space.

If you google "Sumi-e Samurai" you'll see a lot of the same images Steve and I looked at. There's also a lot of Vagabond influence in there, as well as some things that have some personal meaning to me and my late father (*gasp* did I just say my tattoo has personal meaning!!! *gasp*).

And of course Steve took in all the info and turned it into something uniquely his; and did a pretty amazing job of it imo.

Last edited by DGreenwood; 20-09-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 20-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Saw this on IG, itís flawless. Absolutely fabulous. Congratulations mate! How many sessions did you guys do?
Old 20-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
Thanks man! The movement was a key emphasis in the concept obviously. Steve and I talked about this a ton, and looked at lots of reference. But to boil it down as simple as possible: It is inspired by Japanese ink paintings (sumi-e) where there is a lot of detail at the focal points, but the image becomes more abstract and loose as you move away from the focal points, and the brush strokes morph into abstract motion and flow. Also, ample use of negative space.

If you google "Sumi-e Samurai" you'll see a lot of the same images Steve and I looked at. There's also a lot of Vagabond influence in there, as well as some things that have some personal meaning to me and my late father (*gasp* did I just say my tattoo has personal meaning!!! *gasp*).

And of course Steve took in all the info and turned it into something uniquely his; and did a pretty amazing job of it imo.
I knew it was Musashi when you first showed me, since he's like the most famous samurai, but bonus points for Vagabond influence!

Really like this piece though, definitely agree that the movement is what makes it insane. Keeps your eyes moving over the whole piece!

You should probably start working out to get rid of the love handles though man

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

I've been waiting to publicly comment on how amazing this is! Big Congratulations! Love the transition by Steve into something new and cutting edge. Just seeing what he can do in B & G after such a focus on colour lately is crazy, what a talent. It's also making me seriously reconsider the idea of sticking only to colour work in the future *sigh*. You're a walking skin art revolution my friend, even with your grotesque muffin top...
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhine View Post
Saw this on IG, it’s flawless. Absolutely fabulous. Congratulations mate! How many sessions did you guys do?
Thanks! It was 4 sessions. 5 hours, 5 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours.
16 hours total. Let that sink in for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I knew it was Musashi when you first showed me, since he's like the most famous samurai, but bonus points for Vagabond influence!
At one point we were talking about having a sword in each hand, which would have been an obvious Musashi reference, but he ended up dropping that idea. It's really a mash up of so many different things. We talked about the movie Seven Samurai a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
You should probably start working out to get rid of the love handles though man
I'm working on it man, I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
I've been waiting to publicly comment on how amazing this is! Big Congratulations! Love the transition by Steve into something new and cutting edge...You're a walking skin art revolution my friend, even with your grotesque muffin top...
Thanks again! Steve and I talked a lot about making it something unique that neither of us had seen before. We talked about this weird phenomenon created by instagram where we all scroll through insanely good tattoos every day and become desensitized to it. The work is so good, but it all starts to blend together and look the same. But every once in a while you see something you haven't seen before, and those are the ones that you remember.

It's a bit nerve-racking to shoot for something unique because, what if it doesn't work? And even if it does, it may be polarizing. Some may love it, and some may hate it, but at least they feel something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1982 View Post
Just seeing what he can do in B & G after such a focus on colour lately is crazy, what a talent. It's also making me seriously reconsider the idea of sticking only to colour work in the future *sigh*.
Steve loves doing black and grey. With color he says you work really hard just to get it to hold the color and look as good healed as it does fresh (and he does an amazing job with this, his color heals beautifully). He says with black and grey it's actually going to improve over time and look even better than fresh.

Last edited by DGreenwood; 20-09-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 20-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Next level shit right here. Congrats my dude!

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Chatter Box

Very technical tattoo very nice
Steve larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Super dope and unique
inkcollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote