Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Rambler

I think its an amazing piece that healed amazingly well and you should be proud of it. But I wouldn't call his style unique to be honest, he kinda ripped off Victor Portugal who is 1/4 of the price
lemmy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudarkshadowl View Post
First of all he doesn't charge that much a day (4k), he charges 3k for a day rate and 400/hour. Second of all, the amount I choose to pay for a tattoo is my choice, and while there are some tattooists that charge less, stylistically they may be different, or they might not heal as well as one of Josh's pieces. Maybe they will and it's simply that they are cheaper, but I chose Josh for my first tattoo due to proximity to my house, and anyone else of Josh's caliber would have required a flight and hotel room, thereby bringing the cost to the same amount I paid Josh. I've done my research, and I chose Josh due to his experience, unique style, clean lines, and quality of healing. I dont really factor in pricing as a major priority for stuff that is going to be on me for life, but my situation may be different than others. At any rate, there are always artists that charge less and more than the next, and people still go them regardless with varying results.

/rant over

Here is a piece that josh did last night. It wraps around my entire rear forearm and connects to the healed piece above. It exceeded my expectations for sure. We didnt get to the upper portion of the elbow as you can tell in the photo, as it was already 12:35 am, and the piece was complete regardless. Can't wait to see it healed up, the gears and everything else on the piece should pop even more.

3,000 is still way over the top but you are the exact reason he charges it because people will pay.

The piece is still amazing and heals amazing no denying that but the point is for the price you have paid for half a sleeve you could have gotten a full sleeve by superior artists maybe for even less but aslong as you are happy that is all that matters.
Old 17-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
Chat Virgin

I understand where you guys are coming from, but Victor is only cheaper if you go to his shop, and charges high prices just like everyone else at conventions. So when you factor in costs of flights, and hotel rooms, etc. It would be about the same amount anyway, and doesn't he have a huge wait list as well? Your right though, I'm happy and that's all that matters really. And your comment about people like me paying it so thats why they charge it is correct, but alot of people deem his work valued at the rates he charges, others may not, and it's all opinion anyway. Pricing for tattoos have been increasing across the board over the last few years, have they not?

It's like any art really, people pay what they see its value at. Look at the spray painted banksy ballon girl painting that just sold for $1.4M. Do I think it's worth that? Hell no, but alot of the art community thinks it's worth more, so what do I know, lol.
Nudarkshadowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
Chat Slut

In my opinion he is overrated and too expensive. He may have been worth the $ when he could bust out a full sleeve in 15hrs but he's slowed down a ton. Nikko is overrated too. There's a select bunch of artists that got a head start on the competition and got this great following that has stuck around but the entire field is huge and has moved forward tremendously.

As an example, look at a portrait of Mike Tyson that Nikko did and compare it to the same portrait Q_Tattoos did (when he was not even known) and most will pick Q over Nikko yet who gets most of the praise?
nisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Jedi Chat Master

I think Josh is one of the best black and grey artists in the world. It's evident when you see his work healed. If you think he's overrated but haven't seen his work healed, you should reserve judgement until you have.

I have work from Josh and Victor Portugal and I would not say Victor is better. Art is subjective but if you looked at both my arms you would not come away thinking Victor is a clearly superior artist to Josh. I promise. And Victor is not 1/4 of the price of Josh. Josh is more expensive but there's no reason to exaggerate

Josh is expensive, but there's a lot of that going on in the U.S. right now. At least he's delivering a world class tattoo for the price. I can't say the same for many other artists charging that kind of money.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Chat Slut

One thing I do like about Duffy is I believe his stuff is free hand and from his imagination?

That's art to me, I know it's easier and often times 'better' to use a stencil blah blah but you have to love when an artist just gets a pen and draws, something special in that.
Old 19-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #17
Chat Virgin

I can attest to josh free handing alot of his work. The filigree was all drawn on with sharpie and then adjusted as the tattoo developed. He would regularly modify things on the fly to flow better with the original piece. The only thing stenciled for the above piece was the clock face due to it being a circle and having Roman numerals within it. All of the gears were made up by Josh and they have a lot of depth to them, as you can tell from the image. One of my favorite things from the tattoo is what he did with the filigree on my ulna bone on the wrist. He added a swirl of sorts that branches off into filigree and it fit the anatomy perfectly. Just having the forethought to include stuff like that is what makes him a great artist imo.

Last edited by Nudarkshadowl; 19-10-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Nudarkshadowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #18
Jedi Chat Master

You're crazy to say Josh is overrated. Yes he is expensive, but in no way is he overrated.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
Jedi Chat Master

Nikko is over-rated? Lolzers
Old 19-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #20
Chatter Box

I think that all opinios here are right.
I also believe that Josh is too expensive but these both tattoos are amazing!
Nudarkshadowl seems to has a great knowledge of the market and he did his choice so I think he should not be critisized for that.

Regarding Victor Portugal some people could also say that he charges a lot as an artist working in a country like Poland.
I paid Victor 800 euros for 4.5 of work in 2012 and I though it was too much, but if I have to choose between Victor and Josh I will go again for Victor..
Search for the best is offline   Reply With Quote