Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Rambler

Default Reassurance quickly needed! 🙈🙈

So ive had my sleeve extended downwards. I chose a native american indian girl to represent the strength i showed when i was having cancer treatment. The artist has put it on his page and someone has commented on, that its offensive, racist and misogynist? I have heavily researched the tattoo before i got it and really don't know what he means. Is it racist???
Attached Thumbnails
Reassurance quickly needed! 🙈🙈-collage-2018-12-03-19_05_34.jpg  
Missannie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Chat Slut

I am not native American but i think people just like to jump on stuff like this. They will say the girl doesn't look "native American" or women warriors dont wear head dresses or some shit like that. I think its not offensive and your reasom for getting is a good one. Id just share that in the comments on the Instagram and not look back to read the replies. Half those people commenting probably never talked with anyone of native American decent.
kurtek119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Need To Get Out More!

I think its a damn good tattoo good choice

I wouldn't worry about one comment some people just like to talk rubbish
jamiebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Their argument will be thatís itís cultural appropriation, the lady is not Native American, sheís wearing lipstick etc. Like kurtek said, whoever was Ďoffendedí probably isnít working on the front line.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Social justice warriors are scum of the earth. They are simply miserable people trying to get a rise out of you, pay no attention to those internet trolls.
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Chat Slut

I get split on issues like these. Personally I don't like getting themes like this (Native American headdress, Day of the dead skulls, etc.) because I don't understand the culture and I feel like if I got the tattoo I'd be romanticizing part of the culture to relate to. That being said, it's not racist in the sense that these people think it is. You aren't getting this tattoo to demean another culture, like you would be with a swastika. There was no harmful intention behind this and the decision wasn't malicious. I tend to take the stance of inform people why it might hurt (But not offend) some people, but at the end of the day its just a tattoo.

For instance, I see a TON of non hispanic dudes down here in Texas getting sugar skull girls or sugar skulls in general just because they "look cool/hot". Meanwhile in Mexico they use Calaveras as offerings to the dead and it's not just a candy/something that looks cool. Considering that there is a big cultural identity in Mexico, you can see why some people might not like a bunch of people liking how something looks and just deciding to put it on their body just 'cause. I think the major difference in this case is that you at least respected the subject matter to do research and understand it, whereas the latter just went out and got it because.

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Jyn
Chat Slut

Lol who isnít offended these days?

Traditionally females did not wear headdresses. Victoria secret got some backlash for having their models wear them.

In the tattoo world, this is a very traditional design. Donít worry about it.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Lol who isnít offended these days?

Traditionally females did not wear headdresses. Victoria secret got some backlash for having their models wear them.

In the tattoo world, this is a very traditional design. Donít worry about it.
Exactly. There are a ton of Sailor Jerry designs where the females have the headdress as well. Itís been done a long long time. People just like to comment shit because theyíre own lives are boring.

And at the end of the day it is just a tattoo. Tattoos purpose is meant to look good on your body, so why wouldnít you make it look as good as possible.
attepollari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
Chat Slut

I think she looks like Kat Slater from Eastenders
big c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
Rambler

Somebody else said that!!! ���� i dont see it myself thank god lol. Thanks for everyone's advice. I feel better about it now
Missannie24 is offline   Reply With Quote