Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Help, my piece is completely flat, did I do something wrong?

Hey guys,

I had the pleasure of getting some work (see attached photos - chest piece 1 and 2) done around September 2016 when you came to London. Awesome experience and I was ecstatic with the finished work which was a surrealist work but as you can see since then in chest piece photo 3 and 4 (taken Feb 2019) there has been significant fading in the colour and it doesn't pop as much as in the first photo. I understand this is inevitable, I suppose I'm just not happy with how flat it looks compared to when the ink was fresh.

The artist that did the work was visiting from America and they have said that they will be back in London soon but it has been a while. I'm eager to get a touch up pronto. It would be great to finally get this done. I have contacted the artist again.

In terms of aftercare I did everything I needed to - washing the excess ink as soon as I got home and I kept the piece from getting too dry in the months afterwards too with light dabbing of bepanthen (nappy care ointment) on the piece. I just feel like a dick because I feel like I did something wrong.

Do you think there's any hope in reviving it to what it once was? What can I do? Is there a trick to making sure the colour stays, is there something I missed?
Attached Thumbnails
Help, my piece is completely flat, did I do something wrong?-chestpiece1.jpg   Help, my piece is completely flat, did I do something wrong?-chestpiece2.jpg   Help, my piece is completely flat, did I do something wrong?-chestpiece3.jpg   Help, my piece is completely flat, did I do something wrong?-chestpiece4.jpg  
boymostlikelyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Chatter Box

I think you should start searching for a quality tattooer in your area. I don’t believe you need to wait for the original artist. But you will certainly need to do your research and choose the new artist wisely. Look for recommendations here or post pics of their work for feedback.

As for your questions, could just be a combination of the ink used, tattoo technique, and your skin. However you certainly don’t need “months” of aftercare. More like a couple weeks then leave it alone.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Rambler

Absoloutly agree with burnthesehills ..I would see if a quality artist would go over it.,Ive seen this before occasionally and its possible that it could be a combination of factors I would look for an artist thats been in one place for a long time thats not moving around unless youre happy following them around ..
virusdetector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
Chat Slut

Your skin is far too dark for the style of tattoo you picked. I don't think a better artist will make anything pop.
nisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
Chat Slut

I think it is worth going over again to really pack the colour in. But yeah, all colour tattoos do look different healed, when compared to fresh. BTW - bepanthen is no longer considered good for tattoo aftercare - ditch it and opt for a simple non-scented moisturiser or saniderm covering.
ban_an_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

Yeah I did anticipate it would look a little different when it would heal but I'm hoping for the best once I get it touched up. Thank you for letting me know about the Sandiderm.
boymostlikelyto is offline   Reply With Quote