Old 30-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #31
Chat Virgin

Ok, sounds good. Don't know this board and yeah if it's that old I can imagine that's it's frustrating to work with it.

A bit OT but why Invision Board (didn't know it yet)? How does it compare to newer versions of vBulletin, phpBB or WotLab?
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #32
Dev

Invision is big... have been around a long time, constant development, good support, worth checking out but there are a lot to choose from. Each with their own stories
I used to love vbulletin, it was imho the best forum on the market but the original team are long gone and they sold to another company. Since then they had a complete rewrite with v4, they then went back and did a complete rewrite for version 5 removing a lot of the functionality they added in v4. I've lost faith in them, it's so different you may as well compare everything on the market.

Anyway i'll move this thread to website feedback.
davidarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #33
Chat Virgin

Ok, thanks for explanation! Hope you don't have too much trouble migrating.
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #34
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidarthur View Post
Invision is big... have been around a long time, constant development, good support, worth checking out but there are a lot to choose from. Each with their own stories
I used to love vbulletin, it was imho the best forum on the market but the original team are long gone and they sold to another company. Since then they had a complete rewrite with v4, they then went back and did a complete rewrite for version 5 removing a lot of the functionality they added in v4. I've lost faith in them, it's so different you may as well compare everything on the market.

Anyway i'll move this thread to website feedback.
What about the Spam-o-matic software, you have to look this up. It's really good and easy for your mods to use. All spam from the same poster gone in one click, and prevention of them plaguing more sites.
steve.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #35
Dev

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately though that module wont work with our implementation of vbulletin.
The registration on BTP doesn't actually go directly into vbulletin, the website has its own registration and then adds the user to vbulletin after doing its own checks (which are obviously not good enough)
So Spam o matic if installed wouldn't do the checks on registration if that makes sense.
Invision has its own spam control and a much better interface, have a look: https://invisionpower.com/features/spam
Old 31-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #36
Otis James

Default Any other forums?

This one has gone to pieces... Where else is there?
Old 31-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #37
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis James View Post
This one has gone to pieces... Where else is there?
all the others are sooo quiet! unless its mine of course , but i dont think many of you guys are interested in VW earlbays! lol Peter is our only hope!
Old 31-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #38
Otis James

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
all the others are sooo quiet! unless its mine of course , but i dont think many of you guys are interested in VW earlbays! lol Peter is our only hope!
Is Pete setting a forum up? Why the hell has all this spamming started happening?
Old 31-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #39
Dev

The problem is being discussed in this thread:
http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forum...ws/46838-again
Old 31-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #40
Jedi Chat Master

As for this forum being outdated, I agree. I also post on a Sunderland AFC forum and they used to use the exact same forum but changed a couple of years back. It's really good, not terribly dissimilar but you can like posts, mention other users and you get notifications of all this, including when someone quotes you. As for dealing with spam, I don't know, but I do know that forum deals with a lot of traffic, and not just on match day. And it works great on mobiles. I'd highly recommend it. RTG Sunderland Message Boards